Linux Driver?

Ruben Kertesz

Jan 23, 2015, 12:01:14 PM1/23/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
I had this installed on windows but my machine had to be replaced.
Tried going through the Linux tut here https://github.com/iabdalkader/openmv/wiki/Linux-Installation but when I went to connect, no dice.
I did see that there were a couple of errors along the way when I issued this command:
 $ sudo pip install --allow-all-external --allow-unverified PyGTKCodeBuffer numpy pyserial pyusb==1.0.0b2 Pillow PyGTKCodeBuffer

I had previously updated the camera firmware through windows.
Is there some driver of some sort that isn't getting installed on Linux?
Ubuntu 14.04LTS

Ibrahim Abdelkader

Jan 23, 2015, 12:25:18 PM1/23/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Those commands must not fail, otherwise you'll end up missing a package, do you have dev-essentials installed ? also read the errors and see why it fails.

Michael Shimniok

Jan 23, 2015, 1:01:36 PM1/23/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Also, after you plug in the camera, issue the following command at the shell prompt:

lsusb

and send the result?  One of the lines should read:

Bus 006 Device 018: ID f055:9800

Michael

Dave Hylands

Jan 23, 2015, 2:16:10 PM1/23/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
You may also need to either add your user to the dialout group (to use /dev/ttyACM*) or add an entry to udev

Dave Hylands
Shuswap, BC, Canada
http://www.davehylands.com

Ibrahim Abdelkader

Ruben Kertesz

Jan 28, 2015, 5:10:59 PM1/28/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I am looking now. So far, it isn't showing up in the list.
I will try to reinstall and see what commands fail. (hopefully they don't overflow the terminal buffer)
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 064e:d214 Suyin Corp.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID f055:9800
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Ruben Kertesz

Jan 28, 2015, 5:23:46 PM1/28/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
I tried running it again but it says everything is satisfied. Is there a flag I can use to write over the top?

testmachine@testmachine-AOD257:~$ sudo pip install --allow-all-external --allow-unverified PyGTKCodeBuffer numpy pyserial pyusb==1.0.0b2 Pillow PyGTKCodeBuffer[sudo] password for testmachine:
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): numpy in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): pyserial in /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): pyusb==1.0.0b2 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): Pillow in /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): PyGTKCodeBuffer in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
Cleaning up...

Ruben Kertesz

Jan 28, 2015, 5:26:44 PM1/28/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hmm. I don't have essentials.
I ran
python-dev
Not
python-dev build-essential

Is that what you are referring to?

Michael Shimniok

Jan 28, 2015, 6:09:42 PM1/28/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
On 01/28/2015 03:10 PM, Ruben Kertesz wrote:
Thanks. I am looking now. So far, it isn't showing up in the list.
I will try to reinstall and see what commands fail. (hopefully they don't overflow the terminal buffer)
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 064e:d214 Suyin Corp.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID f055:9800
That's the OpenMV Cam right there, above.

What happens when you try to connect via openmv-ide.py ? On mine (Mint 13), I click connect and IDE says "failed to connect" then I click ok, click connect again, and it connects.

Michael

Ruben Kertesz

Jan 28, 2015, 11:33:49 PM1/28/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
I don't remember. I'll give it a try tomorrow morning.

Michael Shimniok

Jan 29, 2015, 12:34:19 AM1/29/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
On 01/28/2015 09:33 PM, Ruben Kertesz wrote:
I don't remember. I'll give it a try tomorrow morning.

Ok, cool, let me know. I'll be on google hangouts on my phone basically all day if you want to IM. Or you can text me at 720-351-8065.

Ruben Kertesz

Jan 30, 2015, 10:21:10 AM1/30/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Good news. I found my other OpenMV R5 board and plugged it into my linux box and it works.
That is, it connects. I can "capature" images (slight spelling error) and I can try to execute scripts. However, none of the scripts seem to run.
I get the following traceback
File <stdin> line 31, in <module>
File <stdin> line 15 in find_face
OSError: Could not find the file
Micro Python v1.3.2-110-g077eefd on 1014-11-15; OPENMV1 with STM32F407

José Eduardo S. C. Xavier

Jan 30, 2015, 10:23:06 AM1/30/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
You need to save the file into the sdcard or into flash, there is an email from me around the ML about the same thing.

Ruben Kertesz

Jan 30, 2015, 10:46:17 AM1/30/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jose. I'll take a look

Ruben Kertesz

Jan 30, 2015, 10:47:03 AM1/30/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Also, is there a way I can check the firmware. I don't want to update it if it is already up to date.

Michael Shimniok

Jan 30, 2015, 12:15:25 PM1/30/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Ruben, that's great! Send me your other board and I'll fix it for you.

On 01/30/2015 08:23 AM, José Eduardo S. C. Xavier wrote:
You need to save the file into the sdcard or into flash, there is an email from me around the ML about the same thing.
Right. You can find the Haar cascade files in usr/data/haar.

Michael
--
Bot Thoughts LLC www.bot-thoughts.com - store

Michael Shimniok

Jan 30, 2015, 2:01:19 PM1/30/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
On 01/30/2015 08:47 AM, Ruben Kertesz wrote:
Also, is there a way I can check the firmware. I don't want to update it if it is already up to date.
The fact that it isn't connecting might be due to the firmware being out of date. It's been updated since I shipped your cameras.

It's pretty simple to update it on Linux. You should just be able to cd into the firmware directory, reset your board into DFU* with the BOOT0 (BOT) and VOUT pins jumpered, then type make.

* you can doublecheck the board is in DFU with lsusb which should display something very similar to this line:

Bus 007 Device 009: ID 0483:df11 SGS Thomson Microelectronics STM Device in DFU Mode

Ruben Kertesz

Jan 30, 2015, 3:05:26 PM1/30/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure what to do with the files in the Haar directory.
I just copied a python script to a microsd card in the top level directory and presumably it ran, but the GUI doesn't refresh with any frames or squares around my face or anything like what Ibrahim showed in his example videos. Is there a way I can get that?

rub...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2015, 3:55:59 PM1/30/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
I stand corrected. I simply added the SD card and ran the video example and te mjped streamer examples and they streamed images. I just thought that the facedetection and other python example scripts would also include streaming to the framebuffer.

Sent from Windows Mail

Michael Shimniok

Jan 30, 2015, 5:42:58 PM1/30/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Many of the demos (fb_viewer.py, face_tracking.py, blob_detection.py, and others) are supposed to stream to the buffer.

What happens when you open fbviewer and run it? Can you take a screenshot and attach it to your reply?

Are there any errors at the command line?  What is the contents of /var/log/syslog ?

Michael

Ibrahim Abdelkader

Jan 30, 2015, 7:39:50 PM1/30/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
You'll need to convert the xml files to bin (*.cascade) files first, choosing the number of stages you want (more stages =more accuracy but slower and bigger) so something like this:

python2.7 ./openmv-cascade.py data/haar/haarcascade_frontalface_default.xml 13

And then copy the .cascade file to the uSD and run facedetection.py

Everything should show on the framebuffer, the IDE just keeps garbing the framebuffer, check the output message maybe some script fails, also mjpeg_streamer needs WiFi