Issues getting IDE to connect

Kyle Campbell

Jan 19, 2015, 5:18:32 PM1/19/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
Michael sent me a board to play with a little while ago. I can't seem to get it to work through the IDE correctly.

I plug in the board and it starts with the blue "heartbeat"
I open the IDE and click connect and it gives me a pop-up of "Failed to connect to OpenMV". Preferences do show OpemMV-Tiny on COM3
Click connect again, it seems to briefly connect but immediately disconnect with a error in the console:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "main.py", line 9, in <module>
OSError: IDEInterrupt
Micro Python v1.3.2-110-g077eefd on 2014-11-15; OPENMV1 with STM32F407
Type "help()" for more information.

Then the LED goes solid blue.

I can close the IDE, disconnect the OpenMV and do it all over again.

Any ideas what is the problem? Thanks!

Kyle

Michael Shimniok

Jan 19, 2015, 5:25:12 PM1/19/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
On 01/19/2015 03:18 PM, Kyle Campbell wrote:
Michael sent me a board to play with a little while ago. I can't seem to get it to work through the IDE correctly.

I plug in the board and it starts with the blue "heartbeat"
I open the IDE and click connect and it gives me a pop-up of "Failed to connect to OpenMV". Preferences do show OpemMV-Tiny on COM3
Click connect again, it seems to briefly connect but immediately disconnect with a error in the console:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "main.py", line 9, in <module>
OSError: IDEInterrupt
Micro Python v1.3.2-110-g077eefd on 2014-11-15; OPENMV1 with STM32F407
Type "help()" for more information.

Actually if you see the above, that means it did connect, and it's ready to rock. I've experienced the "Failed to connect" error followed by a successful connection before several times (on Linux).

Try opening the fb_viewer.py (fbviewer) example and running it... what happens?

Michael

Kyle Campbell

Jan 20, 2015, 12:34:56 AM1/20/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
It connects just long enough to get the error and show the prompt, but then immediately disconnects itself. Below is what IDE looks like after I get the error. I haven't pressed anything except the Connect button. I can't upload or execute anything.

After that, like I said, the LED no longer blinks and if I try to Connect again, it gives me a "Failed...", and then this error:
"Failed to open serial port (check prefernces)
could not open port 'COM3': WindowsError(2, 'The system cannot find the file specified.')"

Ibrahim Abdelkader

Jan 23, 2015, 12:29:02 PM1/23/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi, If you got the board a while ago, you probably have an outdated firmware, I changed the USB interface a lot to work with Windows, check the wiki to update the FW, and use the latest win installer with that.

Michael Shimniok

Jan 23, 2015, 12:59:58 PM1/23/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Kyle got his board fairly recently. I updated it with the latest firmware and verified it worked (on ubuntu) before shipping.

It would be helpful to run the python script from the command line and see output errors.

FYI, I do see the "failed to connect" initially. The error is:

$ ./*ide.py
Exception usb.core.USBError: USBError(None, 'could not release intf 3: No such device') in <bound method Device.__del__ of <DEVICE ID f055:9800 on Bus 006 Address 012>> ignored

But then it connects fine after that.

Michael

Ibrahim Abdelkader

Jan 23, 2015, 4:59:39 PM1/23/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Could be a Windows issue, I only tested the IDE on a VM, I can confirm though that it disconnects briefly and then reconnects, during that time the camera switches to a different USB configuration. Will see if I can get real win machine for testing.

Michael Shimniok

Feb 3, 2015, 12:45:40 AM2/3/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Just a quick note: I reproduced what Kyle was seeing on my freshly installed Win7 system and gave Ibrahim some details so he's going to work on it. Stay tuned...

Kyle Campbell

Feb 19, 2015, 3:31:53 PM2/19/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Any updates?

Ibrahim Abdelkader

Feb 19, 2015, 3:40:07 PM2/19/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I rewrote all the debugging code and now the IDE works over CDC/serial, libusb is no longer needed, the installation process will be much simpler too, I will do a release soon, for now if you want to test I uploaded this patch to the repo.