Error in install process

Michael Falconer

Nov 2, 2015, 2:17:48 AM11/2/15
to openmundi
Hi,

been taking a look at this which looks most interesting. First learned of this when Gerard post on the SQLite list. Downloaded the archive, extracted and ran the recommended 'gem install factbook'. DOH! I ran it againg with a sudo and at least then I had write permissions to the lib64 tree. Running again produced the following output:

Fetching: logutils-0.6.1.gem (100%)
Successfully installed logutils-0.6.1
Fetching: fetcher-0.4.5.gem (100%)
Successfully installed fetcher-0.4.5
Fetching: mini_portile-0.6.2.gem (100%)
Successfully installed mini_portile-0.6.2
Fetching: nokogiri-1.6.6.2.gem (100%)
Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
ERROR:  Error installing factbook:

    /usr/bin/ruby2.0 extconf.rb
mkmf.rb can't find header files for ruby at /usr/lib64/ruby/include/ruby.h

System: openSuse 13.1
Ruby: 2.0.0p247 (2013-06-27) [x86_64-linux]
Gem: 2.0.3

I know very little about ruby so thought I'd ask here before diving in. There was a gem_make.out file mentioned too but it just repeated the error relating to missing header. Cheers.

Gerald Bauer

Nov 2, 2015, 2:29:20 AM11/2/15
to Michael Falconer, openmundi
Hello,
Welcome. Thanks for trying the factbook machinery / scripts.

Sorry for the installation troubles. The nokogiri [1] gem /
library uses C extensions and libraries (e.g. libxml2, libxslt etc.),
thus, you have to make sure you have all build tools (e.g. c/c++
compiler, headers, etc.) and c-libraries installed as a pre-condition.

I'd say the best way might be google "nokogiri linux install" or
"nokogiri suse install" for some tips and how-tos.

Then you can retry installing the nokogiri gem e.g.

$ gem install nokogiri

If that works - install the factbook machinery e.g.

$ gem install factbook

Cheers.

PS: An alternative might be to use the ruby version manager, that is,
rvm [2]. As far as I know rvm sets up everything so you can install
(sandboxed) gems etc.

[1] www.nokogiri.org/tutorials/installing_nokogiri.html
[2] rvm.io