factbook.json - 260+ Public Domain (Free) Country Profiles Updated

Gerald Bauer

Oct 26, 2015, 8:44:25 AM10/26/15
to openmundi
Hello,

If anyone follows along I've updated and rearranged the
/factbook.json [1] archive (repo). What's news?

All country profiles got updated using the latest (live) pages from
the CIA World Factbook site.

The /factbook.json archive now follows 1:1 the "official" structure e.g.

All country profiles now use the two-letter GEC (formerly FIPS) codes
e.g. au for Austria, gm for Germany, and so on.
All country profiles are now included (not just a selection) including
all oceans, the world, the gaza strip, the west bank etc.

The country profiles now get organized / stored by region
as used / assigned by the World Factbook site e.g.:

- africa
- antarctica
- australia-oceania
- central-america-n-caribbean
- central-asia
- east-n-southeast-asia
- europe
- middle-east
- north-america
- oceans
- south-america
- south-asia
- world

That's it. Questions? Comments? As always welcome. Cheers.

[1] github.com/factbook/factbook.json

Eckhard Licher

Nov 5, 2015, 3:03:42 AM11/5/15
to openmundi
Hello,

the json repo is great, just what is needed as input for the openwẂorldFactbook.

May I suggest to include header information in the json files, such as the following (taken form the de-chromed html files):

---
layout:       country
title:        aa - Aruba
last_updated: 2015-09-24
country_code: aa
country_name: "Aruba"
country_affiliation: (part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands)
region_code:  cam
region_name:  Central America and Caribbean
---

Taken the Aruba example the json file would look like the following:
{
  "Header": {
    "layout": "country",
    "title": "aa - Aruba",
    "last_updated": "2015-09-24",
  },
  "Introduction": {
    "Background": {
      "text": "Discovered and claimed for Spain in 1499, ..."
    }
  },
}

Thanks

Eckhard

Gerald Bauer

Nov 5, 2015, 4:50:14 AM11/5/15
to Eckhard Licher, openmundi
Hello,
Good point. Thanks for the reminder. The page info is (still)
missing in the json output. Will try to get it added with the next
/factbook.json update. Cheers.