outreach videos (and a small milestone)

Robbie Morrison

Oct 31, 2022, 2:14:51 PM10/31/22
to openmod list

Hi all

The simple YouTube that Berit Erlach and I made (we're married too) in a car park at the Technical University of Berlin just reached 2.5k views in a little under two years:

Moreover, the YouTube analytics show that, after a short hiatus at the outset, the viewing rate has been a very constant 4 views or so per day.  So no snowball effect present in other words.

I would like to make some more outreach videos of a similar format, length, and style.   These can be shot inside or outside (though Berit insisted her video was filmed outside).  I live in Berlin near the TU Berlin.

Topics should ideally be general in nature and not too focused on a particular modeling framework — although specific examples are valuable of course.

Two ideas that have arisen lately in reaction to recent newbie questions that could be traversed are:

  • the mathematics behind the models (as asked recently by a data scientist)
  • experiences in building and running your first model as a non‑modeler (which will of course be project‑specific)

The format should be talking‑to‑camera with say printouts at hand — which can later be edited in as stills for clarity.   And some emphasis on diversity, as circumstances allow, would help.

If someone wants to contribute technical assistance to the filming as well, I would be very happy.

And I would also like to hear what people think about possible content, suitable style, and pitfalls to avoid.

with best wishes, Robbie

--
Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany