bottom-up residential energy demand time-series

Matteo De Felice

Mar 12, 2023, 4:19:58 PM3/12/23
to openmod initiative
Dear people,
I was looking for an open model to simulate the household energy demand giving as input the appliances, the PV panels, the consumption patterns, etc. Something bottom-up. So far I have found:

Do you know other similar projects?
Cheers,

Robbie Morrison

Mar 12, 2023, 5:07:22 PM3/12/23
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hi Matteo

This following recent article might be of interest:

The UK TIMES (UKTM) model was central.  With the following sub‑models used alongside bespoke numerics also (the open status of these modules was not traversed, although the TIMES Model Generator is under GPLv3+):
  • mobility: TEAM-UK (Transport Energy Air pollution Model for the UK)

  • nutrition and agriculture: UK MRIO (multi-regional input-output)

  • built environment: UK NHM (UK National Housing Model) and Shelter national household model

Electricity‑using appliances were included and modeled by Rachel Carr‑Whitworth, according to the credits at the end of the paper — although no further details were given, as best I could see.

The article presents the underpinning framework as being "replicable for other countries" but if the source is not available and suitably licensed, then adoption elsewhere will certainly be hindered.

with best wishes, Robbie

Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany
Phone: +49.30.612-87617

Cruz Enrique Borges Hernandez

Mar 12, 2023, 6:48:47 PM3/12/23
to Matteo De Felice, openmod initiative
HI Matteo

You have also Load Profile Generator [1] and HiSim [2]. You can follow up the development of these at the WHY project webpage [3] as there would be several updates during the year.

Best regards,
cruz

Cruz E. Borges, PhD
Researcher / DeustoTech

Faculty of Engineering, University of Deusto
Avda. Universidades 24. 48007 Bilbao (Spain)
Tel. +34 94 413 90 03 Ext. 2052

Barsanti Matteo

Mar 13, 2023, 3:59:24 AM3/13/23
to Matteo De Felice, openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hi Matteo,

Another option is demod.

It currently implements an occupancy-based simulation approach to generate profiles of domestic occupancy, activity, thermal and electrical demand with high temporal resolution. Documentation is available in [1] and the GitHub repository can be accessed in [2].

We also plan to release new features soon, including activity-based simulation and electric mobility.

demod can be used independently or coupled with other models (e.g., distribution grid) through co-simulation approaches (see example in [3]).

[1] https://demod.readthedocs.io/en/latest/overview/index.html

[2] https://github.com/epfl-herus/demod

[3] https://energyinformatics.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s42162-021-00180-6

Best,

Matteo

Robbie Morrison

Mar 13, 2023, 10:46:59 AM3/13/23
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hi again Matteo

This might also be of interest:

  • alternative URL: http://hdl.handle.net/10419/249997
  • "the 'When2Heat' dataset comprises synthetic national time series for heat demand and heat pumps' coefficient of performance (COP) in hourly resolution"

Robbie

On 13/03/2023 08.59, 'Barsanti Matteo' via openmod initiative wrote:

Hi Matteo,

<snip>

--
Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany
Phone: +49.30.612-87617

Robbie Morrison

Mar 13, 2023, 2:29:41 PM3/13/23
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hi yet again Matteo

Did you note LoadProfileGenerator, more here:

To be discussed at the upcoming Vienna openmod meeting also.

cheers, Robbie

Robbie Morrison

Mar 15, 2023, 7:02:38 AM3/15/23
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hi yet again Matteo

This for completeness: OnStove models residential cooking options in the global south:

Robbie

Matteo De Felice

Mar 24, 2023, 7:01:04 PM3/24/23
to openmod initiative
Dear all,
I forgot to thank you for the very interesting links you have shared!

Robbie Morrison

Apr 1, 2023, 4:47:07 AM4/1/23
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hi all

Just added some very recent work to this thread for completeness, namely the LUT‑DEMAND model from Finland:

I could not find a public code repo or software licensing details.  But I understand the Finish research group is working towards open sourcing.  Perhaps someone on this list knows more?

with best wishes, Robbie