do offshore wind turbines rust and need to be driven?

Robbie Morrison

May 4, 2022, 5:44:39 AM5/4/22
to openmod list

Hi all

Regarding offshore wind generation in the German North Sea.   Is this statement correct or not:

  • "Curtailed wind rotors often are simply stopped, which is why they all carry a diesel generator to move the rotor to prevent it from rusting — and that diesel tank is refilled by catamaran from the base station on [the island of] Helgoland"

I have never heard of this technical feature.  For background, this is part of a debate I am having elsewhere with proponents of bitcoin.  Their thesis is that there is a lot of curtained renewable generation, both heritage and new, that they have then managed to intercept for both social good and to their own benefit.  For example:

with best wishes, Robbie

--
Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany

Robbie Morrison

May 6, 2022, 9:51:10 AM5/6/22
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hi all

Someone kindly pointed me to the following posting.  Off‑shore wind farms do (or did in 2014) utilize diesel generators to keep their ancillary equipment operational.  This particular proposal suggests that wave power could be harnessed in some hybrid form instead:

Quoting from the above:

"This had led to unhelpful headlines such as "Windpark to nowhere … 22,000 litres of diesel burned each month to keep windpark from rusting away"."

Hunt around the Trident website for more information.

Does anyone have diesel as an input to their wind farm modules? :)

my thanks to Johannes and with best wishes, Robbie