New paper on energy scenarios and the role of open planning models

leonar...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2023, 6:59:23 AM2/14/23
to openmod initiative
Hi all,

if you ever asked yourself about the point of long-term energy scenarios that originate from the models we develop, maybe our latest publication is of interest for you. The publication is linked below and still openly accessible until the end of the month.

Göke, L., Weibezahn, J, von Hirschhausen, C., 2023.  A collective blueprint, not a crystal ball: How expectations and participation shape long-term energy scenarios. Energy Research & Social Science, 97, 102957.

Starting from the observation that scenarios 30 years into the future are outdated so quickly they are revised every year, we find that scenarios are rather blueprints to coordinate decision making rather than predictions of the future. On this basis, we also make a novel and profound argument for open and transparent models. For a more elaborate summary, see this thread on twitter.

Best regards,

Leonard

--

Dr. Leonard Göke | Postdoctoral researcher
Technical University of Berlin | Workgroup for Infrastructure Policy

Twitter: @anygoeke
GitHub: https://github.com/leonardgoeke/AnyMOD.jl