Joe DeCarolis nominated to lead Energy Information Administration

Tom Brown

Sep 23, 2021, 2:32:00 AM9/23/21
to openmod list
Dear openmodders,

Pioneer and veteran open modeller Joe DeCarolis has been nominated by US
President Joe Biden to lead the Energy Information Administration (EIA).

This is a really big deal - congratulations Joe!

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2021/09/22/president-biden-announces-key-nominations-2/

Best wishes,

Tom

--
Prof. Dr. Tom Brown (he/him)
Department of Digital Transformation in Energy Systems

Group website: https://www.ensys.tu-berlin.de/
Personal website: https://nworbmot.org/

Visitor Address:
Einsteinufer 25 (TA 8)
10587 Berlin

Matthew Gidden

Sep 23, 2021, 2:59:14 AM9/23/21
to Tom Brown, openmod list
A huge congrats, Joe! This is a monumental feat that shows the hard work you've been undertaking in leading on open energy system science in the US and abroad is being recognized at the highest levels. I wish you all the best in your new role at which I'm sure you will exceed all expectations.

Cheers!

Matthew Gidden, Ph.D.
[he/him/his]
Team Leader Modelling & Mitigation Pathways Analysis, Climate Analytics
Guest Research Scholar, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA)

Climate Analytics
www.climateanalytics.org
Ritterstr. 3  |  10969 Berlin, Germany
matthew...@climateanalytics.org
+49 (0) 30 259 22 95 36

Jarrad Wright

Sep 23, 2021, 3:52:06 AM9/23/21
to openmod initiative
This is amazing.

I had the brief pleasure of meeting Joe (and sharing a car ride with him) at the openmod session at NREL in September 2019 (what seems like forever ago).

What a great person with a passion for open energy modelling and data.

All the best, Joe!

Joseph DeCarolis

Sep 23, 2021, 11:01:44 PM9/23/21
to openmod initiative
Hi Tom, Matt, and Jarrad,

Thanks for your kind words. I continue to learn and benefit tremendously from the openmod community. If confirmed by the Senate, I plan to take those lessons with me to the Energy Information Administration.

Best,
Joe

--
Joseph F. DeCarolis
Professor

Phone: 919-515-0480
Fax: 919-515-7908
E-mail: jdeca...@ncsu.edu
Web page: https://www.ccee.ncsu.edu/people/jfdecaro
Twitter: @jfdecarolis

Mark Howells

Sep 24, 2021, 3:16:12 AM9/24/21
to openmod initiative
Joe, Late to the party on this - VERY WELL DONE and so DESERVED! Best, Mark

Mar 31, 2022, 4:55:01 AM3/31/22
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hello all

A short clip of Jo DeCarolis at his senate confirmation hearing last month promoting open energy system modeling in the interests of transparency:

If you can only spare 15 seconds then jump to here:

As I understand it, Jo's confirmation is still in progress.

with best wishes, Robbie

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openmod-initiative/DB9PR04MB82359733441FF3A2809D06A7F8A49%40DB9PR04MB8235.eurprd04.prod.outlook.com.
--
Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany

Joseph DeCarolis

Apr 1, 2022, 8:35:00 AM4/1/22
to Robbie Morrison, openmod-i...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Robbie. As it turns out, I was confirmed by the full Senate yesterday, and plan to begin my role as EIA Administrator very soon.

One additional item from the confirmation hearing that may be of interest to the community... Following the hearing, Senators have an opportunity to submit written "Questions For the Record" (QFRs). It provides a way for them to ask questions of nominees that they don't have time to ask during the hearing. My QFRs are posted on the committee's website here. There is an interesting exchange pertaining to open source modeling with Senator John Barrasso of Wyoming. I've copy / pasted the exchange below, with my responses in blue.
-----
Question 13: You have academic experience in open-source modeling and have advocated for a more open-source modeling system at EIA. What works in an academic setting may not be appropriate for a “just the facts” independent government agency that is supposed to be free of political influence and whose modeling can have a huge influence of policy. There is a lot at stake in EIA modeling, which is why its independence is critical. I’m worried afraid that open-source could be used by interest groups to push EIA’s modeling more to pre-determined and favorable outcomes that serve political ends.

a. How would you guard against outside groups using open-source modeling as a way to tip the scales in one direction or another to match a political preference?

Outside groups on both sides already express frustration about modeling results that do not align with their thinking. With closed models, stakeholders are only able to critique the model outputs and have limited ability to understand how model dynamics drive those results. The result can be mistrust and a
sense that the modeling is hopelessly flawed. With open models, stakeholders can scrutinize modeling input assumptions. Such an approach can result in more productive discussions based on data and evidence rather than opinions or expectations regarding results.

b. How would you assure people that changes to EIA modeling would be based on merit and not on political influence?

EIA experts are the ultimate arbiters of merit-based changes in the modeling. If confirmed, in my role as Administrator, I will shield them from political influence. As an experienced modeler, I also have a deep understanding of the relevant issues and can discern legitimate points from advocacy.
-----

As I transition into this new role, I want to thank the openmod community. I continue to learn a tremendous amount from you all, and will take those lessons with me to EIA.

Best,
Joe

--
Joseph F. DeCarolis
Professor

Mark Howells

Apr 1, 2022, 9:14:57 AM4/1/22
to Joseph DeCarolis, Robbie Morrison, openmod-i...@googlegroups.com, Skip Laitner

Amazing Joe! Well done. And all the best!! M