Is the ECEMF Scenario Explorer now under CC‑BY‑4.0

robbie....@posteo.de

Dec 16, 2023, 1:51:37 AM12/16/23
to openmod initiative
Hello all

With regard to ECEMF Scenario Explorer run by IIASA:

https://data.ece.iiasa.ac.at/ecemf/

It appears that database is now licensed under Creative Commons
CC‑BY‑4.0.

The database was earlier offered under bespoke terms, based on the
CC‑BY‑4.0 text but with the 96/9/EC database rights waivers omitted.

These days, it is very unlikely that those rights would be present in
any case, given CV-Online Latvia v Melons, reported as
ECLI:EU:C:2021:434 in 2021. Some background links and commentary here:

https://forum.openmod.org/t/legal-issues-related-to-an-energy-modeling-knowledge-commons/4399#case-law-7

Sorry, I haven't got the time to drill down into these questions, hence
this posting.

with best wishes, Robbie

---
Robbie Morrison
Schillerstraße 85
10627 Berlin
Germany

Daniel Huppmann

Dec 18, 2023, 2:58:24 AM12/18/23
to robbie....@posteo.de, openmod initiative
Hi Robbie,

I think that you are confusing the ECEMF Scenario Explorer (https://data.ece.iiasa.ac.at/ecemf/) with other Scenario Explorer instances hosted by IIASA - for ECEMF, the license was CC-BY 4.0 since we launched the Explorer in February 2023. The choice of license is always taken by the consortium or project for which we are hosting the database infrastructure.

Note that the scenario data already published from the ECEMF project and accessible in the ECEMF Explorer is also available on Zenodo -> https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.7634845. More scenario data will also be released in this parallel manner of Scenario Explorer (including a RestAPI allowing direct integration with other tools) and Zenodo.

Best regards,
Daniel