a question on public contributions

Robbie Morrison

Aug 25, 2022, 5:40:24 AM8/25/22
to openmod list

Dear opemoders

I would be interested to hear if anyone has ordinary members of the public contributing to their modeling projects or data projects.  Specific details are not required.  Reply online or off‑line as you prefer.

Robbie

--
Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany

Robbie Morrison

Sep 10, 2022, 4:01:16 AM9/10/22
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hi all

A follow-up after two weeks.  No responses to the direct question of public inputs into projects.

Indeed that implies that open source energy systems modeling is different from virtually all other open source projects in that these projects are conducted almost entirely within academia.

Not related to any specific project, but I recently asked practitioners about potential conflicts between academic requirements and open source development.  It transpires, albeit given my small sample size, that such tensions are rare.  One minor example was that some researchers had asked other contributors not to publicize certain results until they had been written up and submitted for peer‑reviewed publication.

Open source is not a panacea for all ills of course.  But it does seem to work quite well in this context — which spans scientific research and public policy analysis.  And the more established projects are certainly growing their communities — to the point where servicing new comers is stretching their human resources.  On that note, one project recently invested time inducting a corporate, only to have them depart without explanation after six months or so.  There is nothing one can do about that — soliciting declarations of commitment is generally regarded as out‑of‑bounds in the open source world.

with best wishes, Robbie

Robbie Morrison

Sep 11, 2022, 7:31:49 AM9/11/22
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com