Naismith (2021) on pandemic modeling: parallels with energy systems modeling?

Robbie Morrison

Dec 27, 2021, 3:05:38 AM12/27/21
to openmod list

Hi all

Those involved in public outreach and explaining their energy system modeling (ESM) activities more generally might resonate with this short article by a United Kingdom virus modeler published in The Guardian yesterday:

Naismith's remarks about a shift from science reporting to political reporting are doubtless quite insightful:

I do worry that media coverage of Covid has shifted from science journalists to higher profile political journalists.  Not for nothing is the political slogan "if you are explaining you are losing" often employed.  There is an important role for science-based policy advocates and scientists who explain the conflicting data to the public but avoid policy advocacy.  I try hard to be the latter and admire the former; but I caution that it seems impossible to do both.  If science becomes a tribal identity, then a chunk of fellow citizens will close their ears, to their and our detriment.

BTW, "goomster" on wiktionary = "A gloomy, negative person".

Captured PDF attached for the record.

with best wishes, Robbie

--
Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany