We go global - PyPSA meets Earth

Max Parzen

Jan 7, 2022, 4:44:58 AM1/7/22
to openmod initiative
Hi everyone,
We just announced today to start a global PyPSA initiative called "PyPSA meets Earth" - originating from our PyPSA meets Africa initiative.

If you like to help build a PyPSA-Eur (in future PyPSA-Eur-Sec) like tool version in other parts of the world then please get in contact with us. The energy system model is only one part of the initiative. We also work on open data and the support of open-source solvers.

More information can be found in the full announcement:

Best wishes,

Max

Robbie Morrison

Jan 7, 2022, 5:38:46 AM1/7/22
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hi Max, all

Just to note that (to my knowledge) three umbrella projects are now starting to work in sub‑Saharan Africa:

  • PyPSA meets Africa (now PyPSA Earth)
  • U4RIA (related to OSeMOSYS) lead by Mark Howells, Loughborough University
  • Dispa‑SET from the European Commission and allied researchers

See also:

Standing back, I regard this form of "soft technology transfer" (if you like) as open models are applied collaboratively in the global south as a very useful development.

I know also that the German GIZ international development agency (wikipedia) has begun looking at these developments in terms of both tooling and data.  Perhaps other countries too?

with best wishes, Robbie

Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany
Phone: +49.30.612-87617

Robbie Morrison

Jan 7, 2022, 9:45:46 AM1/7/22
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hi all

IRENA are holding a one day virtual webinar on Africa in a weeks time:

with best wishes, Robbie