Do we need yet‑to‑be‑developed energy technologies as discussed in new book by Mark Jacobson

Robbie Morrison

Jan 23, 2023, 12:00:00 PM1/23/23
to openmod list

Hi all

The question of whether yet‑to‑be‑developed technologies are needed is central to a new book from Mark Jacobson, Stanford University, USA — slated for release on 2 February 2023:

  • Jacobson, Mark Z (2 February 2023). No miracles needed: how today's technology can save our climate and clean our air. Cambridge, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-1-009-24954-6. Paperback edition. (circa €22)

The Guardian just ran a review:

Jacobson argues that existing technologies — with a couple of gaps — are up to the job.  And that carbon capture is not needed.

A report covering Germany on much that same question is also due for publication on the same 2 February.  That report will argue that demand reduction is part of the mix and that carbon recovery and storage is needed for cement production and direct air capture and storage to compensate for agricultural emissions.  So I guess it depends how you prefer to define your system and then draw the boundaries in relation to carbon management?  More details on that report when publication occurs.

Also some background on the legal controversy mentioned in The Guardian article:

with best wishes, Robbie

--
Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany