Strachan and Li (2021) survey of energy system modeling in the United Kingdom

Robbie Morrison

May 26, 2021, 10:32:46 AMMay 26
to openmod list

Hi all

A new survey on energy system modeling in the United Kingdom:

The DOI is currently broken, perhaps awaiting registration? The document itself is under full copyright.

The United Kingdom often use quite soft definitions such as "open access" models and "presumed open" data.   My FOSS lawyer friends would advise me to only use software with a legitimate software license and only redistribute data, whether modified or not, with a legitimate data‑capable license.   I keep a reasonable eye out for open energy system models and I have none logged for the United Kingdom (DESSTinEE from ICL uses a non‑software open license and thereby sits in a gray zone).  Perhaps others on this list can post examples that they are aware of?  That would be interesting.  I am not trying to be unkind, but science does imply third party reproducibility and that in turn does imply access to the required artifacts under suitable open licensing.

with best wishes, Robbie

--
Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany