Public tender for Flanders energy system 2050+ study requires open source

Tom Brown

Sep 1, 2022, 1:42:55 PMSep 1
to openmod list
Hi all,

This tender by the Flemish Energy and Climate Agency for an energy
system 2050+ study might be interesting for some of you:

https://enot.publicprocurement.be/enot-war/preViewNotice.do?noticeId=453727

It requires the study be done with an open source model with open data,
which I think is rare among public authorities (I don't know many other
examples). But it is clearly in the public interest that authorities
should be able to publish the models on which their studies are based,
both for their own future studies to build on previous work, and for
transparency and reproducibility by the broader community.

An unofficial translation:

"""
The project will examine how we can supply our society of Flanders
in the future with climate-friendly energy in a realistic and
cost-effective way. The project will build on an existing existing or
new energy model, and will at least provide insight into:
- the future energy demand (including degree of flexibility, ...),
per energy carrier and per sector per unit of time until 2050 in steps
of five years, taking into account expected evolutions on
Flemish/national/European/global level;
- the future energy supply up to and including 2050 in five-year
steps, taking into account expected potentials for i.a. climate friendly
energy sources and storage, evolutions at the Flemish/(inter)national
level and estimates about imports (potentials) from abroad;
- the impact on investments, prices, materials, of other relevant
factors, with specific attention to attention to keeping the total
energy cost under control, up to and including 2050 in five-year steps.

The model is open source, based on (aggregated) open data and is
(after delivery) controllable by the client. The modeling takes into
account the time scales relevant for accurate modeling of the various
energy carriers and the relevant spatial scales. The results of the
modeling are provided with context in the analysis. The energy model
used for this purpose is technology-neutral and focused on
cost-effectiveness, and can deal with rapidly changing trends.

The term climate friendly refers to low carbon, climate neutral or
carbon negative.
"""

Best wishes,

Tom

--
Tom Brown (he/him)
Professor of Digital Transformation in Energy Systems

Group website: https://tub-ensys.github.io/
Personal website: https://nworbmot.org/

Visitor Address:
Einsteinufer 25 (TA 8)