2022 IEA Ministerial Meeting update / 19 second clip on freely available data by Fatih Birol

Robbie Morrison

Mar 23, 2022, 11:35:25 AM3/23/22
to openmod list

Hello all

I watched the Official Opening and the Opening Plenary of the IEA Ministerial Meeting (14:00–15:30 CET) today, Wednesday 23 March 2022.

The official agenda contains no details to speak of: https://iea.blob.core.windows.net/assets/929957ed-a08c-46de-a913-445d9e705c7d/2022IEAMinisterialAgenda_Draft.pdf

IEA directory Fatih Birol spoke very well at the outset (as always).

Fatih wants to create an "IEA 3.0" with a co‑emphasis on climate change (IEA 1.0 was in 1974 with the OPEC response, IEA 2.0 in 2015 by extending membership to emerging economies).  And Fatih identified four key themes this time around — mandates to cover:

  • minerals for the energy transition
  • carbon dioxide and methane
  • a strengthening of the IEA community (new member Lithuania, currently processing Argentina and Egypt)
  • and that "IEA data" should be "freely available" in the interests of "increasing data trust" (timestamped 2022-03-23T13:33Z)

Here is the must‑watch 19 second clip of Birol covering that last point: https://www.youtube.com/clip/Ugkx4Eo1YmFiqrB0J5fFWjUUkbTvcEb1zUL4

Placing free data as one of the four central agendas is surely significant?

No other participants thus far have muttered the words "information" or "data" or "trust".

There is also some work in the background to support IEA aspirations to offer open access data by a significant charity — but I am not at liberty to talk about these developments in public unfortunately.

Fatih also mentioned that turning down thermostats by 1°C was equal to the Nord Stream 1 pipeline.

(From my perspective, most participants seem to view the decarbonization transition as economically orderly and gave no indication that their various capex aspirations (new hydrocarbon extraction, blue hydrogen, carbon capture, new nuclear) might be late or stranded under rapidly tightening constraints arising from the climate science and also from climate justice considerations.  Indeed most participants, both ministers and industry representatives, spoke on behalf of the oil and gas sector and sought more rapid permitting — which I took to mean new restrictions on public interest arguments within planning procedures, given that high status projects of the types indicated are invariably fast‑tracked by governments these days.)

with best wishes, Robbie
--
Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany

Grant Wilson

Mar 23, 2022, 11:37:22 AM3/23/22
to robbie....@posteo.de, openmod list

Great news Robbie, that’s a big step

Robbie Morrison

Mar 24, 2022, 9:06:24 AM3/24/22
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Short update.

I saw nothing in the final session of the IEA Ministerial Meeting that concerned data.  And I am not sure when the official communique is due?  Perhaps that will note any plans to publish IEA data?

The exact quote from Birol during his opening remarks was this:

"… and finally related to each of these three priorities we also would like to start making IEA data freely available, in the interest of increasing data transparency and supporting good decision making"

(Also a bit galling to watch Shell plc CEO and director Ben van Beurden talk up Shell when ClientEarth are currently suing him — and other the 12 directors — in a personal capacity for failing to adequately prepare his company for a transition to carbon neutrality: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ClientEarth#Shell_plc.)

with best wishes, Robbie

Robbie Morrison

Mar 24, 2022, 9:54:42 AM3/24/22
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

The IEA Communique is out:

Point 33 reads (emphasis added):

We task the Governing Board to organize an independent review of the IEA budget, standing groups, and committees to inform the 2025-2026 Programme of Work and Budget. We also ask for a review of options that will allow more IEA data to be made freely available while offsetting any budgetary implications.

Noting here that Hannah Ritchie, Our World in Data, started the ball rolling first.  Then Malte Schäfer picked it up for the openmod.  And later Adam Stein lead US efforts.

with best wishes, Robbie