Gaschnig et al (status unclear) surveying energy model user needs

Robbie Morrison

Jun 19, 2021, 2:09:28 PM6/19/21
to openmod list

Hi all

Does anyone know if this report has been published yet (my web searches failed of course):

  • Gaschnig, Hannes, Diana Süsser, Andrzej Ceglarz, Antina Sander, Vassilis Stavrakas, George Giannakidis, and Johan Lilliestam (2020). User needs of energy models — quantitative results from a European online survey. Potsdam, Germany: Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies (IASS). Due for public release in December 2020.

TIA, Robbie

--
Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany

Robbie Morrison

Jun 20, 2021, 2:39:45 AM6/20/21
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hi all

With some offlist help (thanks), I tracked down the publication on user needs that I was seeking:

One of the figures caught my attention:

[gaschnig-etal-2020-fig-12-page-36]
Figure 12: Which model feature/quality is more important? (voluntary, Likert scale), N: 55 (page 36). CC‑BY‑4.0 license.

The Open Energy Modelling Initiative gets a mention on page 57 too. :)  There is also some material on the importance of graphical user interfaces (GUI), relative to the survey group of course.

A more‑recent related paper from many of the same authors:

"Our study implies that greater transparency, including open‑source code and open data, and transdisciplinary elements in modelling could increase model legitimacy and impact in policymaking." (page 1)

I am still seeking energy system models related to the United Kingdom that have been made public with a recognized open source license. And would be grateful if anyone can assist with some details, either onlist or offlist.  Thus far, I have not managed to locate any examples.  For some background (one of four planned reports):

Finally, suggestions in UKERC publicity that the above national survey is unique are probably undermined by the IASS report cited above at least.  Do we really need to be so parochial as modeling communities?

with best wishes, Robbie