UK Power Networks website and open data

Robbie Morrison

Apr 6, 2021, 11:51:37 AM (8 days ago) Apr 6
to openmod list

Hello all

UK Power Networks (operations) Limited have a website providing a range of public information:

A part of that site serves "open data":

The site terms and conditions are provided here:

If one scrolls down, one finds the following:

Intellectual property rights

Any intellectual property rights in the content of our site are owned by UK Power Networks or its licensors. These are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.

You are permitted to download and print content from our site solely for your own internal business purposes and/or personal use. Our site content must not be copied or reproduced, used or otherwise dealt with for any other reason. You must not modify the paper or digital copies of any materials you have printed off or downloaded in any way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text.

The distinction between public data and open data is not especially well understood in the United Kingdom in my experience — as this site indicates also.  Would anyone like to comment?  I'll contact the website in due course, so any pointers would help.

It is good to see entities within the energy sector engaged in public outreach and public information provision.  But there are clear definitions for open data which should be acknowledged, including this from European Directive 2019/1024 recital 16 (which entered force prior to the end of the Brexit transition period so, in some senses, the UK government has signed on):

Open data as a concept is generally understood to denote data in an open format that can be freely used, re‑used and shared by anyone for any purpose.

More background on touchstone definitions for open data here:

with best wishes, Robbie

--
Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany