European Commission consultation on data / closes 25 June 2021

Robbie Morrison

Jun 7, 2021, 10:51:48 AM (6 days ago) Jun 7
to openmod list
Hello all

The European Commission is currently consulting on a proposed Data Act:

The consultation also covers a review of the 1996 database directive.  That directive, subsequently transposed into individual national law, is arguably the most problematic statute for energy analysts within Europe who work with public sector information and/or energy sector information under statutory reporting.

Just a heads up at this stage. I have yet work through the background documentation. The deadline for written feedback is midnight Friday 25 June 2021.

I intend to draft a written submission and then seek support from individuals within this community via this mailing list.  Noting too that the Open Energy Modelling Initiative collectively decided early on not to lend its name to policy positions on individual legislation or on specific matters of public policy more generally.  If on offer, I would also consider traveling to Brussels to give an account of the written submission in person.

For orientation, here is an earlier submission to the European Commission:

Feel free to respond here or to email me off‑list.

with best wishes, Robbie

--
Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany

Robbie Morrison

Jun 10, 2021, 11:23:01 AM (3 days ago) Jun 10
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hello all

Regarding the preliminary consultation (officially "inception feedback") on the proposed Data Act by the European Commission. Submissions close midnight Friday 25 June 2021.

By my reading, this act and related measures (such as the proposed ePrivacy Directive) have two aims:

  • to tighten up how private data (including non‑personal data) is communicated and stored and to increase the sanctions for misuse
  • to improve the flow of information between businesses (B2B) and also from business to government (B2G) for public‑interest reasons (the coronavirus pandemic being a case in point for both activities)

So that is broadly the backdrop.

This email is to indicate where I intend to head on a written submission, also with (hopefully) the support of willing openmod participants as signatories. And these are the key points so far:

Administrivia

  • the submitters collectively class as an "informal organization" for the purposes of this submission process
  • and while we all contribute to the Open Energy Modelling Initiative, this submission cannot be made in the name of the Open Energy Modelling Initiative as a matter of community policy