approving messages due to recent levels of spam

I.A.G....@bham.ac.uk

Aug 27, 2024, 4:28:58 AMAug 27
to openmod initiative
Dear All,
apologies to the delay in some messages getting through the system, as people are on holiday at this time of year. With a recent uptick in member applications and some spam, an approval system for messages has been applied (particularly for new members) as an interim approach.
This has impacted genuine accounts too - so - we apologise for that - and will look to open those accounts at somepoint to be able to directly post without an approval step.
A general approach to any spam is to delete accounts at the first instance of spam from that account. If this catches a genuine account (that had example been compromised) - then - just get in touch directly with one of the admins and we'll aim to sort it out.
best wishes, Grant

Robbie Morrison

Aug 27, 2024, 5:40:44 AMAug 27
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hi Grant, all

That sounds really good.

Do I need to update the list of those responsible for the openmod mailing list. Let's talk offline perhaps?

Applicants for the openmod forum have been screened from almost the beginning, so that service can provide a safe environment. And to note that the Discourse software also allows for private areas, that only registered users can view and post. It also supports smaller groups and fine‑grained read and write access controls. Google groups are always world visible, of course.

That screening process on the openmod forum can offer benefits as well. A recent applicant from Thailand described their project and, as a result, was forwarded a GIZ report on Thailand and received personal advice from the OSeMOSYS Global project on how best to deploy a starter kit for the region.

best, Robbie

PS: those new to this community should ask questions via the various channels on offer, normally there are some useful replies!

Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany
Phone: +49.30.612-87617

Robbie Morrison

Aug 27, 2024, 5:46:08 AMAug 27
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

And here is a preprint covering that starter kit for Thailand.