A notebook to "recreate" European power systems using ENTSO-E, C3S and PyPSA

Matteo De Felice

Jan 6, 2023, 2:41:55 AM1/6/23
to openmod initiative
Dear all,
I have just created a python notebook containing a workflow able to simulate European power systems in PyPSA using ENTSO-E data (for demand, inflow, capacities and interconnectors) and Copernicus Climate Change Service data (wind, solar, run-of-river).

The notebook is available in this repository https://github.com/matteodefelice/pypsa-entsoe/
I have uploaded all the needed files, the README should be clear enough to run it.

My objective is to create a simple toy model able to provide simple but useful insights on weather-driven events, for example the wind drought in April 2021 in the North Sea. In principle, with this code you might be able to "recreate" the status of the European power systems in a specific moment in the past.
Obviously, there are many caveats and limitations - some of them are mentioned in the README.

I would like to have your feedback on this,

have a nice day,

Matteo