Georeferentiation of CORE-TSO substations with OSM

ORIOL RAVENTOS MORERA

Apr 6, 2023, 11:20:07 AM4/6/23
to openmod initiative
Dear OpenModders,

I just uploaded a table in ZENODO (https://zenodo.org/record/7805625) that identifies the components of the transmission grid operators (substations, transformers, and lines) in AT, BE, CZ, DE, FR, HU, HR, LU, NL, PL, RO, SI, and SK given in the Core-TSO data: https://www.jao.eu/staticgrid-model (second release), with OpenStreetMap (OSM) objects.

The value of this table is that one can produce models of the extra high voltage grid with highly reliable technical data (from Core-TSO) and precise coherent geolocations (from OSM). A detailed documentation is provided in a separate Word file, which contains extensive validation of the data and an example on how to use it.

Notice two things though: First, a new version of the Core-TSO data was released some days ago. It has no big changes, but anyway the data in ZENODO will be updated accordingly as soon as possible. Second, the Core-TSO data (even in the newer version) is not complete (clearly visible by some unconnected parts of the French grid). We make no correction in the data, but document the various flaws and suggest remedial actions.

Best regards,
Oriol

——————————————————————————

Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt e. V. (DLR)

German Aerospace Center

Institute of Networked Energy Systems | Carl-von-Ossietzky-Str. 15 | 26129 Oldenburg | Germany

Oriol Raventós Morera | Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter

Telephone +49 (0)441 99906-153 | Fax +49 (0)441 99906-109 | oriol.rave...@dlr.de

DLR.de/VE

DLR is represented by the Executive Board and employees authorised by it.
Head of DLR's legal department, Linder Hoehe, 51147 Cologne, can provide information (
DLR.de/imprint).

François Lacombe

Apr 7, 2023, 2:52:35 PM4/7/23
to ORIOL RAVENTOS MORERA, openmod initiative
Hi Oriol,

Thank you for this attempt to link Core-TSO and OSM data.
It's really interesting to see how these two universes come together and it's already really good.

It's all right to make such a merge, and the ODbL license is the only valid choice to publish the result (like you've done here).

By the way, osm_id and osm_type fields shouldn't be kept in the resulting file as they're not stable.
I could delete a substation and recreate the same to see the id changing.
We should use business references instead.
For instance, https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/120707003 => ref:FR:RTE=CRENE, which is unique in the country or even EIC codes when available (ref:EU:ENTSOE_EIC on OSM).

We're still completing osm data across Europe to make it even more reliable for modeling in coming months.

Best regards

François Lacombe
OpenStreetMap France.