Appunn (2022) interview with an architect of the German energiewende / model-mediated public engagement

Robbie Morrison

Jan 11, 2022, 7:00:31 AM1/11/22
to openmod list

Hi all

Those not familiar with the German energiewende might find this short interview with Rainer Baake, one of the architects of the transition, quite illuminating. It also maps out how changing social attitudes were key drivers.  And I guess we also have to pay homage to the steeply downward learning curves exhibited by renewables generally and photovoltaics in particular. All nuclear production in Germany will cease by law on 31 December 2022. There was some recent discussion about extending operating permits in order to displace lignite generation, but the decommissioning plans are so far advanced that that option is no longer feasible.

Also to note that there is now some work beginning within this openmod community to look at public engagement via the use of energy system models.  That is not an entirely new topic but there are some reasons why this moment is a good time to push the idea forward — not least the increasing availability of open source tools and workflows and open datasets (current IEA practices notwithstanding).  Perhaps those projects considering public engagement might want to indicate their thoughts and plans?  Just a suggestion.

with best wishes, Robbie

--
Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany

Taco Niet

Jan 11, 2022, 12:41:49 PM1/11/22
to Robbie Morrison, openmod list

Hi Robbie, All,

You mention community/publicly engaged modelling.  I have just accepted a Researcher in Residence position for the next 8 months with the SFU Community Engaged Research Initiative (CERi) to spend some time (and pay a couple of graduate students to spend some time) looking at how to engage ‘community’ in energy modelling.  My thought is to use the time to develop a plan for how to do some public engagement with modelling (and hopefully apply for an interdisciplinary grant to support that).  Happy to discuss/post/connect with others doing similar work!

Cheers,
Taco..

--

Taco Niet, Ph.D., P.Eng.

Assistant Professor of Professional Practice

Principal Investigator, ΔE+ Research Lab

www.sfu.ca/see/delta-e

School of Sustainable Energy Engineering

Simon Fraser University

Taco...@sfu.ca   778-782-7183

I acknowledge that I work and live on the unceded traditional territories of the Semiahmoo, Katzie, Kwikwetlem (kʷikʷəƛ̓əm), Kwantlen, Qayqayt, Tsawwassen, Tsleil-Waututh (səl̓ilw̓ətaʔɬ), Squamish (Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw) and Musqueam (xʷməθkʷəy̓əm) Nations.

Frederic Hirschmüller

Jan 12, 2022, 3:17:05 AM1/12/22
to openmod initiative

Hi Taco, everyone,

we are working on a free, open-source tool to model energy systems of communities. The idea of this project is to make scientific models accessible to communities, local utilities, small and medium enterprises by developing a user-friendly user interface for the open energy modelling framework (oemof). The open_plan tool comes with a drag&drop user interface that enables all users to develop energy models in oemof without any programming skills. Furthermore the results of the simulation are provided through graphs and info boxes so that the outcomes of the simulation are easy to understand even for people without a technical background.

We published the first version of our tool in October 2021 and we will continue the development at least until the end of 2022. You can access the open_plan tool under the following link: https://open-plan-tool.org/

Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or if you want to connect for an exchange.

All the best,

Frederic

Mark Howells

Jan 12, 2022, 3:52:11 AM1/12/22
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

What a lovely tool!! Well done!! Best, Mark

Jan 13, 2022, 12:54:35 PM1/13/22
to Frederic Hirschmüller, openmod list, Robbie Morrison

Hi Frederic,

Thanks for the note and info.  I have to say that this is definitely part of community engagement/community engaged modelling, but I am hoping that my Researcher in Residence term will allow us to identify/do some more direct/active engagement as well.  Not really sure what that will look like at this point…  I’ll forward your info to the students who are working on things and we’ll see where things end up.

Cheers,
Taco..

[...]

Frederic Hirschmüller, M. Sc.

DGS – Deutsche Gesellschaft für Sonnenenergie

Landesverband Berlin Brandenburg e.V.

Erich-Steinfurth-Straße 8

D – 10243 Berlin

Fon: +49 30 293812 – 60

Mobil: +49 159 04731821

Fax: +49 30 293812 - 61

Mail: f...@dgs-berlin.de

Web: www.dgs-berlin.de

LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/dgs-berlin-brandenburg

Twitter: www.twitter.com/DGSBerlBrandenb

Robbie Morrison

Jan 17, 2022, 2:01:11 AM1/17/22
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hello all

Here is some interesting public outreach being run by European oceanographers.  The Blue‑Cloud Hackathon takes place in two weeks time on 7–9 February 2022:

Nothing like this has been organized for energy system modeling to my knowledge — but there is probably no real reason why similar a event could not be run in the energy domain. I did not manage to track down the level of European Union Horizon funding the hackathon has attracted — but the prize money amounts to €60,000.

The very short YouTube listed above is worth watching.

with best wishes, Robbie