Launch of "Open Energy Transition" and article "‘Black-box’ U.S. energy planning hinders renewable energy development"

Max Parzen

Jun 27, 2023, 12:32:23 PM6/27/23
to openmod initiative
Dear openmodders,

We just launched today Open Energy Transition (OET), a non-profit software organization dedicated to accelerating the global shift towards sustainable energy. Why do we exist?

As a spin-out from the PyPSA developer community and creators of the PyPSA meets Earth initiative, we provide popular open-source solutions for energy system planning, emphasizing power and sector-coupled system analyses. With many global players already adopting open-source software (e.g. EU commission, TSO TransnetBW, Canada’s Energy Regulator), we've seen exponential growth that calls for reliable support beyond the research realm. Open Energy Transition addresses this need by promoting open energy system modeling worldwide, fostering trust, offering dependable support, and prioritizing user-centric development.”

Learn more about the team and what we do from our launch posts on LinkedIn and Twitter.

By coincidence, Tom Brown just shared today a brand new IEEE Spectrum article about "E.U.: Climate-Proof Grids Require More Transparency ‘Black-box’ U.S. energy planning hinders renewable energy development". We can highly recommend this article as it not only explains why open source and open data are key for infrastructure planning but also reveals the main bottlenecks for large-scale adoption. To borrow a quote from the article:

Edwin Haesen, ENTSO-E head of system development, says the organization supports open source tools. He says shortcomings currently limit open models’ role in the “chain of tools” that yields Europe’s 10-year network plans, citing “drawbacks in functional requirements and uncertainties in support.”

We aim to solve these existing bottlenecks with OET. Feel free to reach out if you have project ideas/organisation funding/ if you want to join our team.

Best wishes,

Max

--
Maximilian Parzen

CEO of Open Energy Transition – A Non-Profit Tackling Energy Planning Challenges Worldwide
Co-Director of PyPSA meets EarthA Global Open Source Energy System Modelling Initiative

PhD
Candidate  in Energy System Modelling | Energy Storage