[off-topic] Project Mushroom community platform for justice and action on an overheating planet

Robbie Morrison

Nov 28, 2022, 3:19:39 AM11/28/22
to openmod list

Hi all

As part of the Twitter debacle and shift in interest to platforms like Mastadon, meteorologist and climate journalist Eric Holthaus is setting up Project Mushroom.  The project seeks to provide a community platform for justice and action on an overheating planet and will start first by establishing a dedicated Mastadon instance.  There is now an active kickstarter for those who which supports its formation: <https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/projectmushroom/project-mushroom>

with best wishes, Robbie

--
Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany

Ludwig Hülk

Nov 29, 2022, 3:16:01 PM11/29/22
to Robbie Morrison, openmod list

Hi Robbie, Hi openmod,

while I like to move to Mastodon I don’t see the need for an own instance.

There are easier ways to connect and create a community with the existing infrastructure.

For example I like these two registers for new people

Who would be interested in creating a similar list for openmod?

I also  created a group using gup.pe

https://mastodon.social/@energyr...@a.gup.pe/followers

Feel free to follow:

@Ludwi...@mastodon.social

Best

Ludwig

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openmod-initiative/222fab32-ed0c-eb43-6cc2-03d92f22a0ea%40posteo.de.

Robbie Morrison

Nov 29, 2022, 5:07:24 PM11/29/22
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ludwig, hi all

On the question of Project Mushroom and noting that I only know what I read in broadcast emails: but the game plan is to also provide a high level of support: paid moderators, paid web developers, professional fundraising, and so forth and with an emphasis on human diversity.  So quite a lot more than just docking onto an existing Mastodon instance (read server) I would say.

Mastodon is not the only micro‑blogging service either, see wikipedia.  And I remember when GNU social was the alternative to twitter.

Regarding the question of a Mastodon group for the openmod.  I drew this chart three years back and it probably still has merit.

[channels-diagram]

If I am not mistaken, the openmod wiki faded and there was never really a website.  Some functionality was taken up by the Open Energy Platform, including project listings.  Mattermost might be replaced by Discord these days. The openmod email list, a Google Group — and the forum, running Discourse — have been quite successful, both edging towards a 1000 participants.  Here are recent stats for the forum — so something like 600 page views per day (without the web crawlers included).

[forum-page-views]

My instinct is to think carefully before adding another channel — channel in the sense of newsgroup, forum, micro‑blogging presence, and so on.

More background on the various services offered by the openmod are summarized here: https://forum.openmod.org/t/1032

Moderation has not been an issue to date.  The email list is for all comers while forum applications get screened as a precaution.  It is not hard to imagine a channel being overrun under the wrong circumstances as visibility grows and controversy beckons.

Perhaps the Mastodon question specifically, and services generally, could be traversed at the next workshop at IIASA in March 2023?

HTH, Robbie