Fwd: Recording now available: “COP27: What's at Stake for Africa?"

Robbie Morrison

Oct 21, 2022, 11:38:32 AM10/21/22
to openmod list

Hello all

I attended the following briefing on Africa by US‑based World Resources Institute.  The recording might be interesting for those modeling in Africa.

The final question from the WRI moderator Rebekah Shirley was: how can African‑led research collaborations best be developed in the context of the climate crisis?

I duly responded to WRI with regard to that question:

"One emerging model for the energy sector at least — and this is admittedly early days but showing rapid promise — is open source modeling and the associated community activities, both overarching and project‑based.

These open source activities — based on my several years trying to gain engagement by environmental and development NGOs — fall outside the normal modes of thinking for NGOs (with EDF being one exception) and civil society more generally and so remain under‑recognized."

Even so, I don't think WRI has connected with these ideas.  But perhaps as the associated studies (from Calliope, Dispa-SET, GENESYS, oemof, OSeMOSYS, PyPSA, URBS, and others) gain more airplay, so will their underpinning ethic.

It is really liberating to be able to just swipe someones code from GitHub.  Indeed the first codebase I acquired (deeco) was only forwarded to me in Aotearoa/New Zealand because I posed no academic threat to the German researchers who originally developed the framework.  Thank goodness those days are over!

Two other take‑homes from the WRI event were that western backers are primarily interested in mitigation and not adaptation or loss and damage.  And that most of the promises of public funding from the west have yet to materialize.

with best wishes, Robbie