Flexibility options and their representation in open energy modelling tools

Anya Heider

Nov 18, 2021, 3:37:32 AM11/18/21
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Dear all,

it’s been a while since we shared our survey on the representation of flexibility in open energy modelling tools in this community. We again want to thank all the modellers who were willing to participate for their great contribution! Our results are now available as an open-access publication:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211467X2100122X

Summarised we found a wide range of different tools covering most aspects of flexibility. All of the five categories of flexibility options we distinguished – supply, demand, storage, sector coupling and network – are represented to a high degree in at least one of the models. Soft coupling of different models could therefore allow for a holistic flexibility assessment. However, most of the investigated models use perfect foresight and do not include probabilistic or behavioural aspects. These are important factors influencing the available flexibility and should therefore be included in future model development.

We are aware that the suitability of a model is very dependent on the research question one tries to answer. We therefore provide the results of the surveys and our evaluation algorithm in an adaptable form hoping that it can help researchers find the right model for their specific research question.

Thanks again to everybody who contributed to this work and we are happy to receive feedback and discuss our results.

Wishing everybody a nice day!

Best, Anya

M.Sc. Anya Heider

PhD Candidate RLS Graduate School