video on UK Icebreaker One energy data brokering platform (35:17)

Robbie Morrison

Feb 13, 2021, 4:20:59 AM2/13/21
to openmod list
Hello all

This video from United Kingdom non‑profit Icebreaker One is worth watching. It covers their innovative energy‑sector‑wide data brokering scheme:

I think this is a fantastic project (and for disclosure, I contributed to advisory group 2 on policy, regulation, and legal). But I guess there are two implicit assumptions that will need confronting in due course:

  • that data munging alone can provide the kind of answers being sought: in my view, many of the use-cases indicated will need to be processes through proper energy system models to yield the desired insights

  • that energy sector data will naturally and tacitly align: again in my view, a lot of hard work ahead on semantics, collection protocols, metadata, and technical standards

I have already contacted Icebreaker to let them know of work within this community that could contribute to these areas.  Moreover that some specific projects in UK institutions could assist with the underlying modeling.

Icebreaker was recently awarded phase 3 development by the UK government with funding of £0.75 million (about €0.9 million) under the MEDA scheme.  The objectives for that phase are covered in the aforementioned YouTube.

Icebreaker has one‑hour public webinar via Zoom coming up on Tuesday 16 February at 10:00 GMT (11:00 CET), register here.

Also worth noting a similar project aimed at industry — with enhancements planned like near‑realtime wind farm logging — named OSDU (Open Subsurface Data Universe) and launching on 24 March 2021.  That project currently only supports contractually‑encumbered data and data under mandatory public domain status, so the "open" tag is somewhat misleading.

stay safe, Robbie

--
Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany