International Energy Agency (IEA) using PyPSA for hourly modelling

Tom Brown

Apr 24, 2024, 10:41:45 AMApr 24
to openmod list
Dear open-minded modellers,

The International Energy Agency (IEA) is now using open tools (PyPSA and
atlite in this case) for some of their analysis of hourly-to-annual
flexibility needs, see here:

https://www.iea.org/reports/managing-the-seasonal-variability-of-electricity-demand-and-supply

Some of this analysis already fed their flagship World Energy Outlook
2023, check out the documentation here:

https://iea.blob.core.windows.net/assets/ff3a195d-762d-4284-8bb5-bd062d260cc5/GlobalEnergyandClimateModelDocumentation2023.pdf

Maybe we need to start keeping lists of institutions *not* using open
source...

Jokes aside, the tools are one thing, it would be a great step forward
if the data used to feed the models were also published so we could get
full transparency.

Best wishes,

Tom

--
Tom Brown (he/him)
Professor of Digital Transformation in Energy Systems

Group website: https://www.tu.berlin/en/ensys
Personal website: https://nworbmot.org/

Visitor Address:
Einsteinufer 25 (TA 8)
10587 Berlin

Robbie Morrison

Apr 24, 2024, 12:00:18 PMApr 24
to Tom Brown, openmod list
Hi Tom, all

We need to talk about the almost complete EU Cyber Resilience Act (CRA)
as well. That statute is on its last loop through the legislative
process, now being translated into national languages before almost
certainly entering into law later this year.

The CRA divides the software production universe into manufacturers and
upstream software — with special considerations for open source
projects. Indeed, significant open source projects, who are not also
manufacturers, can — at their discretion — appoint software stewards to
assist with the required quality assurance processes when and where
their software contributes to manufactured products. These final
products will need to be carefully engineered and will duly receive a
European CE mark in recognition. Manufacturers are necessarily
for‑profit.

I've been trying to scope the various issues in relation to open source
energy systems frameworks and related activities. This is a space that
needs to be navigated with considerable care, particularly when
limited‑liability for‑profit companies are involved. For instance, Open
Energy Transition GmbH.

Even if not required by law to have suitable quality assurance systems
and processes in place, larger projects, such as the PyPSA codebase,
might like to formalize these processes in relation to the CRA, in order
to assist downstream manufacturers with their mandatory due diligence
activities.

It seems, based on early discussions, that providing a web‑interface to
your open source framework and model while remaining strictly non‑profit
should not trip the CRA. But if engaged in for‑profit consulting and
simultaneously supplying your client with a copy of your model will
likely trigger the CRA. Straight black‑box consulting, however, will
probably not — as no software‑related product is present.

I plan to blog about the intersection between the CRA and open modeling
on the openmod forum in the next month or so. So this is just a brief
heads‑up.

Also to note that the CRA is the first time open source software
development has been acknowledged in legislation anywhere in the world.

On the question of being easier to list intuitions not using open source
energy systems frameworks than otherwise, open source code makes up
about 80% of the software stack in most consumer products, including
vehicles. This is a revolution that has largely gone unnoticed and
unreported: the sharing of source code on an industrial scale.

Congratulations to the PyPSA crew and to other like‑minded projects for
their trailblazing in the context of transparent public policy support.

with best wishes, Robbie
---
Robbie Morrison
Schillerstraße 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany

Peter Fairley

Apr 24, 2024, 12:09:11 PMApr 24
to Tom Brown, openmod list
Very cool.

The WEO documentation mentions use of the Open Source Spatial Electrification Tool (OnSSET) from KTH and the Aviation Integrated Model (AIM) from UCL.

Peter Fairley ⚡ Journalist
US +14152300075 / Canada & Apps +12505146248Portfolio / LinkedIn / Bluesky / Twitter

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, but what we know for sure that just ain't so." - Samuel Clemens. Or Josh Billings. Or Will Rogers. Or ...

Mark Howells

Apr 25, 2024, 6:31:10 AMApr 25
to Peter Fairley, Tom Brown, openmod list
Terrific news Tom et al (!!) Actually, the World Energy Outlook started with OnSSET in 2014 (!) Cool to see how a comparative edge with respect to advanced development is very embracable ...

Apr 25, 2024, 8:00:38 AMApr 25
to Mark Howells, openmod list
Hello Mark, Tom, all

For those wanting some background, both OnSSET and PyPSA are covered on
wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_energy_system_models#OnSSET
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_energy_system_models#PyPSA

The Grenoble openmod workshop held recently in late‑March was,
interestingly, about 70% first time attendees. And one of the comments
I heard several times was that a keynote on the first day covering the
energy modeling landscape would be really useful, together with a short
primer on open source and open science. Worth remembering that not
everybody has been doing this stuff for years or decades.

Also, projects might want to add or update their wikipedia entries — as
above. Gentle hint! The page views on wikipedia far exceed any other
form of public outreach — with daily average views of around 25 and an
all‑in total of 67k so far.

While I'm here, a heads‑up for the excellent Polish Instrat webinar
yesterday, presented by Patryk Kubiczek (and don't be put off by the
length):

• PyPSA-PL-mini: an exploratory model of the Polish energy system
• 24 April 2024, YouTube (01:17:27)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuIxfz5mg6k

The video shows how Jupyter Notebooks running on the Google Colab
platform (until your session expires, oops) can be used to distribute
your model and enable users to experiment and compare scenarios by
simply tweaking sliders. In addition, an excellent reminder of the
difference between model land and reality — and a nice treatment of the
subtle dynamics in real systems and how they might arise in your
simplified — in this case, intentionally very simplified — take on that
future reality.

with best wishes, Robbie
---