PyPSA 0.18.0: introducing pathway optimisation and new MIT licence

Tom Brown

Aug 12, 2021, 12:20:45 PM8/12/21
to openmod list
Dear openmodders,

We try not to spam the openmod list with every PyPSA release, but this
is a big one which may have one or two interesting features for you.

The main interesting features of PyPSA 0.18.0 are:

- A switch from the stricter copyleft GPLv3 to the more liberal MIT
licence. We felt there was not too much benefit from the stricter
licence and it was proving a stumbling block for some users. In this we
followed the example of the framework oemof - you can see more reasoning
here:

https://github.com/PyPSA/PyPSA/pull/274

- Pathway optimisation over multiple investment periods with perfect
foresight. This takes PyPSA away from brownfield and greenfield capacity
expansion optimisation and into the world of pathways. This follows in
the footsteps of Temoa, OSeMOSYS, SWITCH, TIMES, Balmorel and many other
models, but keeping PyPSA's focus on performant high-resolution
modelling. This feature was developed by Lisa Zeyen of KIT and carefully
reviewed by Fabian Hofmann of FIAS.

- Jupyter notebook examples integrated into the documentation
(contributed by Fabian Hofmann of FIAS). This allows us to ditch our
fugly website https://pypsa.org/.

- Many more smaller features including more flexible snapshot weighting,
more flexible installable generation potentials, etc.

You can read more here:

https://pypsa.readthedocs.io/en/latest/release_notes.html#pypsa-0-18-0-12th-august-2021

Looking to the future, we have coming up in the next weeks/months:

- New releases of the high-resolution European electricity and
sector-coupled models PyPSA-Eur and PyPSA-Eur-Sec (coordinated by Fabian
Neumann of KIT and Fabian Hofmann of FIAS)

- PyPSA meets Africa project led by Max Parzen of Edinburgh University,
see https://pypsa-meets-africa.github.io/

- endogenous learning curves for PyPSA (developed by Lisa Zeyen of KIT)

- new spatial clustering algorithms (developed by Martha Frysztacki of KIT)

- web interface and server for online scenario deployment for PyPSA-Eur-Sec

- integration of new snazzy easy-to-use but performant optimisation
framework (https://github.com/PyPSA/linopy, developed by Fabian Hofmann
of FIAS), possibly including PIP-IPM interface (project by Jonas Hörsch
of Climate Analytics)

Please feel free to get stuck in and contribute or to make suggestions!

In recent months we've welcomed many non-university institutes using
PyPSA, including The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), TransnetBW,
Agora Energiewende, Climate Analytics, Energynautics and
Instrat.

https://pypsa.readthedocs.io/en/latest/users.html

It's great to see open source tools being used in the real world!

Best wishes,

The PyPSA Development Team

https://pypsa.readthedocs.io/en/latest/developers.html

--
Tom Brown (he/him)
Professor of Digital Transformation in Energy Systems

Group website: https://www.ensys.tu-berlin.de/
Personal website: https://nworbmot.org/

Visitor Address:
Einsteinufer 25 (TA 8)