LF Energy update

Robbie Morrison

Nov 30, 2021, 5:26:01 AM11/30/21
to openmod list

Hello again all

I have been participating in the LF Energy Data Architecture Working Group (DAWG) since July 2021. Put simply, LF Energy (LFE) is suite of projects (numbering around ten so far) intended to operationalize the concept of electricity system digitalization. With open source software and methods as central themes of course. More on the LFE landing page:

Below is a screenshot of current thinking on functional architecture (I believe developed by EPRI in the United States). Those working with long‑haul energy system models will recognize quite some overlap but also some gaps.

[lf-energy-functional-architecture-v1-overview-screenshot]

Regarding possible gaps, I recently suggested that public interest information flowing to policy makers, researchers, and the interested public should be included. Such information transfers are the subject of increasing interest. Two examples. First, the European Commission wants to mandate such flows, suitably anonymized where necessary, of privately‑held data under its proposed Data Act — to the point where the Trade Secrets directive may need modification. And second, the UK Ofgem report released 15 November 2021 (cited below) covered, among other things, public interest information flows. Ofgem also hints at legislative revisions if necessary. I am not familiar with the regulatory landscape in the United States, but I guess the Public Utilities Commissions would likewise need similarly unencumbered public information. Moreover the analytical modeling (for instance, using the SWITCH framework applied in Hawaii and California) would best be populated with open data.

Standing back, I think the LFE project has yet to recognize the depth of work in the openmod community. Maybe that is a trans‑Atlantic thing to some degree? And this aspect also perhaps leads to a more casual attitude to open data than I would wish — while noting that datasets very rarely class as intellectual property in the United States (insufficiently creative and database protection legislation was never enacted despite three attempts).

I will try to track down the presentation which yielded the above screenshot but will only circulate the PDF if clearly open licensed.  On that note, the "CC 4.0" stub on the screenshot is supposed to serve as a CC‑BY‑4.0 license notice!  (Now if I was to license source code like that, imagine the howls of complaint from the open source world!)

with best wishes, Robbie

--
Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany