Fit for 55 scenarios based on PRIMES data for PyPSA

Matteo De Felice

Sep 19, 2022, 4:19:54 AM (13 days ago) Sep 19
to openmod initiative
Dear all,
in the last years, my unit at the JRC of the European Commission has been working closely with DG ENER for many studies related to the EU Green Deal and REPowerEU. We use the METIS model (an energy model developed by Artelys for the European Commission) and we have created multiple scenarios based on PRIMES data for the Fit for 55 package.

As a personal side project, I have 'converted' one of those scenarios - namely the MIX H2 (the MIX scenario with hydrogen targets consistent with the EU Hydrogen Strategy) - for the PyPSA model.

The methodology to carry out the conversion from PRIMES to METIS has been described in the documentation available in this dataset (https://data.jrc.ec.europa.eu/dataset/d4d59b89-89f7-4275-801a-45ea8957e973) and then I did the conversion to PyPSA.

It's a solved network for each climate year between 1982 and 2015, the resolution is at country level (as in PRIMES), including EU + neighbouring countries (UK, NO, CH, RS, BA, MK).

I shared this dataset for the following reasons:
- to convince my colleagues sitting in Bruxelles that we should move to open modelling
- to improve my knowledge of PyPSA
- to share with the community a scenario that is widely used at EU level

This is the first time I work with PyPSA and I am planning in the next weeks to use this scenario for a capacity expansion study.

If you decide to use and test it, please send me a feedback, that would be very nice,

Best regards,