IPCC report 2021

Robbie Morrison

Aug 9, 2021, 5:16:25 AM8/9/21
to openmod list

Hi all

The new IPCC report is out today as everyone will know.

The planet is failing faster than expected. And while it was not possible to predict how robust our earth systems would be, I guess this report comes as a surprise to most, myself included.

I've been involved in climate change for 31 years now. Some on this list will be relatively new to the debate. And some will not have been born in 1990 when the first IPCC report was published.

I want to say that numerical energy system modeling is clearly part of the solution. That everyone should be proud that they are contributing to deep solutions. Stay focused on that task. And hopefully this report will provide the watershed moment we clearly need as a global society.

For some background, here is a scan of a hand-drawn pamphlet that I handed out at public stalls in south London in mid‑1990 using material advanced from the first IPCC report before it was officially released:

  • Morrison, Robbie (20 May 1990). "Global Warming" pamphlet dated 20 May 1990. London, United Kingdom. doi:10.5281/zenodo.4823717. With transcript.

I remain disappointed and annoyed that these early warnings were not picked up as they should have been.

with sadness and with best wishes, kia kaha (stay strong), Robbie

--
Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany