London meeting and resolving non-consensus issues

Jeromy Carriere

Sep 26, 2017, 1:38:48 PM9/26/17
to OpenMetrics
Hi all:

Ben and I started drafting an agenda for our face-to-face meeting in London.  Please take a look and add your thoughts. We intentionally left the agenda partially formed so that the group could help shape it.

A topic I wanted to get opinions on: should we establish a, dare I say it, process for resolving issues that we can't reach consensus on? Like IETF's? Of course I'd prefer that we achieve consensus as much as possible, but I don't want us to get stuck and not be able to make progress.

Ben Kochie

Sep 27, 2017, 5:21:40 AM9/27/17
to Jeromy Carriere, OpenMetrics
The IETF process seems to mostly involve appeals to a governance structure, in particular a working group chair, and then up the IETF authority chain.  Since we're a bit small, and haven't elected an official leadership body, it may not work for now.

We could adopt a "board of directors", and vote in representatives from each of the groups currently involved.  They would represent the "chair" and deal with non-consensus items.

We currently seem to have a good odd-number set of core organizations, Google, InfluxData, and Prometheus.

Jeromy Carriere