OpenMeta: What's up?

Tod Robbins

Mar 11, 2015, 5:11:36 PM3/11/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Since is has been a long while since anyone posted, I thought I'd ask: what's up? With Finder Tags now a mainstream element of OSX, what is the status of OpenMeta?

Thanks in advance!

Tom Andersen

Mar 11, 2015, 5:59:35 PM3/11/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Apple copied open meta tags for 10.9. They changed a few details. That was a good thing.

So while one could set open meta tags on 10.9 or later, I don't think it's wise, unless you set them with apple tags as well.

The last posted build of open meta does exactly what I outline above.

Please don't make users suffer by talking about anything but 'tags'.

Programs that continue to set older format tags in 10.9 or later are broken  from the users point of view.

--Tom

(from a mobile device)

On Mar 11, 2015, at 5:11 PM, Tod Robbins <todd.d....@gmail.com> wrote:

Since is has been a long while since anyone posted, I thought I'd ask: what's up? With Finder Tags now a mainstream element of OSX, what is the status of OpenMeta?

Thanks in advance!

todd.d....@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2015, 6:14:24 PM3/11/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tom.

Does Apple provide a cli for Finder tags? For instance, I've been trying to extract tags with exiftool but not finding how. I would have thought the tags would be bundled with the other image metadata.

--
Tod Robbins
Digital Asset Manager, MLIS

Tom Andersen

Mar 11, 2015, 6:26:42 PM3/11/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
I don't know of a cli, would be nice to have.

Apple tags are not stores in any file and thus changing tags does not alter  files. So they are not in the ex if data.

They are in the same place as the Filename and creation date are stored - in the file metadata. It's in something called 'extended attributes'

Note that Apple Stores tags in a weird way, only the apple Api should be used to set and get tags.

Tom

(from a mobile device)

Jon Stovell (a.k.a. Sesquipedalian)

Mar 12, 2015, 12:55:09 PM3/12/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Someone did create a CLI to manipulate Finder tags. You can find it at https://github.com/jdberry/tag

Tom Andersen

Mar 21, 2015, 9:45:48 AM3/21/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
I took a look at that CLI. From the description and a few minutes looking at the code, it appears well written, and uses the right Apple API to set and retrieve tags.

—Tom