mds running constantly?

Jon Gotow

Dec 1, 2009, 3:31:43 PM12/1/09
to open...@googlegroups.com
I updated to the latest OpenMeta sources and am calling
[OpenMetaBackup upgradeOpenMetaTokMDItemOM] when my app launches.
mds is now running constantly - why?

- Jon

Jon Gotow go...@stclairsoft.com
St. Clair Software http://www.stclairsoft.com/
Fax (540)552-5898 http://twitter.com/stclairsoft

Jon Gotow

Dec 1, 2009, 3:44:14 PM12/1/09
to open...@googlegroups.com
At 3:34 PM -0500 12/1/09, Jon Gotow wrote:
>I updated to the latest OpenMeta sources and am calling
>[OpenMetaBackup upgradeOpenMetaTokMDItemOM] when my app launches.
>mds is now running constantly - why?

So if my first run through the sources is correct, telling OpenMeta
to upgrade the tags starts up an NSOperation thread that queries
Spotlight for all files that have kOMUserTags. It then transfers all
these tags to kMDItemOMUserTags - and that's what's got mds churning
in the background on everyone's machines now, right? How long will
this take? (So I can tell my users...)

Rolf Schmolling M.A.

Dec 1, 2009, 5:15:39 PM12/1/09
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

though I cannot say anything about the underlying processes, on my system mds seems to settle to sth. "normal plus a bit of regular extra activity"… I have a LOT of tags!

MBP C2D OSX 10.6.2 3 GB Ram

regards,

Rolf

Jon Gotow

Dec 1, 2009, 8:46:17 PM12/1/09
to open...@googlegroups.com
At 11:15 PM +0100 12/1/09, Rolf Schmolling M.A. wrote:
>Hi,
>
>though I cannot say anything about the
>underlying processes, on my system mds seems to
>settle to sth. "normal plus a bit of regular
>extra activity"Š I have a LOT of tags!

Yes, it appears that I had a file with corrupted
metadata that kept kicking off OpenMeta's update
function over and over. I deleted the file and
the cpu-chewing stopped. I've gotten reports
from a couple of users who seem to be suffering
from the same problem - are there tools that I
can tell them to run to diagnose and fix metadata
problems on their machines?

Thanks

Jono

Dec 2, 2009, 9:03:45 AM12/2/09
to OpenMeta
Yes, I've also noticed mds churning away and taking up a lot of CPU,
since yesterday.
I think it was since I installed Default Folder X 4.3.4? (and then
4.3.5 today)

I turned off all other OpenMeta apps to just leave Default Folder X
running, and mds continues to churn away. If I turn it off mds stops.
Turn it on again and mds kicks in again.

Hope there's some sort of fix for this soon.

Jon Gotow

Dec 2, 2009, 12:10:33 PM12/2/09
to open...@googlegroups.com
At 6:03 AM -0800 12/2/09, Jono wrote:
>Yes, I've also noticed mds churning away and taking up a lot of CPU,
>since yesterday.
>I think it was since I installed Default Folder X 4.3.4? (and then
>4.3.5 today)
>
>I turned off all other OpenMeta apps to just leave Default Folder X
>running, and mds continues to churn away. If I turn it off mds stops.
>Turn it on again and mds kicks in again.
>
>Hope there's some sort of fix for this soon.

Well, first I'd like to hear some feedback from Tom - his thoughts on
this process and whether any of the shipping Ironic apps are doing
the tag conversion. If not, it was a big mistake for me to integrate
the Oct 13 commits from the OpenMeta source tree. Tom?

As for Default Folder X, I just released version 4.3.5, which has a
switch to turn the OpenMeta updating off. Option-click on the
settings button in Default Folder X's system prefs and turn on the
bottom checkbox (DisableOpenMetaUpgrade).

Rolf Schmolling M.A.

Dec 2, 2009, 2:31:33 PM12/2/09
to open...@googlegroups.com
As To wrote on another related thread there was a bug in the openmeta-code…
Hopefully Jon can update DFX fast enough to incorporate this change.

Rolf

Tom Andersen

Dec 2, 2009, 2:43:05 PM12/2/09
to open...@googlegroups.com
Sorry - did not know it was on the wrong thread.

I think that it had something to do with MailTags, but I can't be certain.

--Tom

indevsoftware

Dec 2, 2009, 4:15:31 PM12/2/09
to open...@googlegroups.com
Can you provide more detail about what you thing it has to do with MailTags

(I am running to get up to date to the latest commits now)

Scott

Rob Lewis

Dec 4, 2009, 3:44:49 PM12/4/09
to OpenMeta
As a user I'm seeing a lot of Spotlight background activity since
installing the latest Default Folder X.

Is there any way to check for the corrupted files that can cause the
infinite looping problem?

Jon Gotow

Dec 5, 2009, 9:56:36 PM12/5/09
to open...@googlegroups.com
Download this build of Default Folder X:

http://www.stclairsoft.com/download/DefaultFolderX-4.3.6d2.dmg

After installing it, open Terminal and type this command:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain OMUpgradeDebugLevel 1

Then turn Default Folder X off and back on again, then go use an Open
or Save dialog in one of your apps. One minute after you use your
first Open or Save dialog, you should see log entries start to appear
in your Console. You can type "OMUpgrade" into the Console's search
field to see just the OpenMeta upgrade diagnostic lines.

To turn the debug statements back off, execute this command in Terminal:

defaults delete NSGlobalDomain OMUpgradeDebugLevel

and then restart Default Folder X. Hope that helps.

Rob Lewis

Dec 11, 2009, 4:19:46 PM12/11/09
to OpenMeta
OMGod (get it?) what have I done?

I installed DFX 4.3.6d5 and turned it on as instructed.
Saw a bunch of messages in the Console log, ending with this:

12/11/09 1:03:56 PM Default Folder X Helper[12471] OMUpgrade:
upgrading tags on /Users/mrob/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Sent Messages
(Gmail (IMAP)).mbox/Messages/33767.emlx
12/11/09 1:03:56 PM Default Folder X Helper[12471] OMUpgrade:
upgrading tags on /Users/mrob/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Sent Messages
(Gmail (IMAP)).mbox/Messages/33820.emlx
12/11/09 1:03:56 PM Default Folder X Helper[12471] OMUpgrade:
upgrading tags on /Users/mrob/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Sent Messages
(Gmail (IMAP)).mbox/Messages/33847.emlx
12/11/09 1:03:56 PM Default Folder X Helper[12471] OMUpgrade:
upgrading tags on /Users/mrob/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Sent Messages
(Gmail (IMAP)).mbox/Messages/33891.emlx
12/11/09 1:03:56 PM Default Folder X Helper[12471] OMUpgrade:
upgrading tags on /Users/mrob/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Sent Messages
(Gmail (IMAP)).mbox/Messages/34103.emlx
12/11/09 1:03:57 PM Default Folder X Helper[12471] OMUpgrade:
upgrading tags on /Users/mrob/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Sent Messages
(Gmail (IMAP)).mbox/Messages/34118.emlx
12/11/09 1:03:57 PM Default Folder X Helper[12471] OMUpgrade:
upgrading tags on /Users/mrob/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Sent Messages
(Gmail (IMAP)).mbox/Messages/34167.emlx
12/11/09 1:03:57 PM Default Folder X Helper[12471] OMUpgrade: upgrade
query done. Query count was 468.

Which seems to imply that DFX is done fixing the tags.

And yet, mds continues to pound my hard drive and use lots of CPU!
Even with DFX turned off. Something it never did before this all
started.

Actually, it did do this once before, and I traced it to some
mysterious issue between Gmail and Apple Mail (and possibly involving
MailTags): I set their settings different from the recommended ones,
as suggested in an article in TidBiTs by Joe Kissell. Spotlight was
consuming my CPU and thrashing the hard drive until I simply removed
the Gmail account from Apple Mail.

Kind of suspicious that the above Console messages involve old Gmail
stuff.

Sure would love to know what's going on here and how to make it stop!

TimD

Jan 25, 2010, 11:52:56 PM1/25/10
to OpenMeta
My mds and mdworker have been churning away for several weeks now. A
couple of updates to OM software I have installed have come and gone,
and I have been patient, thinking that all of the changes need to
trickle through, but there seems to be no letup in the churning. I
have Tags (2.0 beta [2081]) and DFX (4.3.6d2) running. I also
occasionally use Leap2.
Can anyone help me diagnose? I'm worried about my laptop overheating
since it's running near full CPU all the time.
I've done the Terminal trick mentioned above and found a few
OMUpgrades to the same file, but it's a couple of repeats over several
days, not a flood of activity that should consume my CPU's.
-Tim