Is there any way to prevent xattrs from being copied along with the file?

Tony Xiao

Jan 20, 2012, 4:09:29 PM1/20/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
Typically we want the metadata to remain with the file across copies and moves, but sometimes it is useful to know "the original file" that the user tagged, is there anyway to set the xattrs in such a way that they do not persist over copies but do persist over moves and "re-saves"? I know that for example kOMUserTags got changed to kMDItemOMUserTags because kOMUserTags wouldn't persist across several common file operations. Is there any information on what kind of operations these are and under what conditions would xattrs be preserved / deleted?