Tagging, networked volumes, and spotlight

ptone

Feb 2, 2010, 1:44:12 PM2/2/10
to OpenMeta
I'm reasonably certain that this is spotlight's fault, but in the end
the result is the same. That is, I can't get openmeta tags to work as
expected in a OS X Server, AFP mounted home folder set up.

I can apply tags, see tags on the files, but not search for those tags
or create smart folders based on those tags.

I'm sure it has something to do with the voodoo of how spotlight works
with remote indexes.

But does anyone have a solution to this scenario?

-Preston

mc23646266

Feb 5, 2010, 12:00:34 PM2/5/10
to OpenMeta
if I got it right you're using OS X server for sharing your home-dirs.
right?

which Version is your OS X Server?
I would expect (networked) spotlight to work on 10.6 for sure,
eventually with 10.5.x (i think greater 10.5.4).

greetz

=:-)f

ptone

Feb 5, 2010, 12:37:10 PM2/5/10
to OpenMeta

On Feb 5, 9:00 am, mc23646266 <u...@23646266.net> wrote:
> if I got it right you're using OS X server for sharing your home-dirs.
> right?

Yes - but actually in this case I'm using just a mounted share.

> which Version is your OS X Server?
> I would expect (networked) spotlight to work on 10.6 for sure,
> eventually with 10.5.x (i think greater 10.5.4).

Nope - not working with 10.5.8

I might be setting up a 10.6 server test environ soonish - so I'll see
if it works their at that point.

-Preston

mc23646266

Feb 21, 2010, 3:46:15 PM2/21/10
to OpenMeta
@ptone
can you perform a spotlight search from one of your macs to a second
mac?

for me this works:
i use @home mac pro connected to my @mobile macbook pro
@mobile i mounted my user drive @home

i opened a search @mobile with apple-f in finder, i can see the
'shared' button in the middle (Freigaben, for the germans)
when i type in a openmeta tag searchterm in the upper right
searchfield, all results shown are located @home.

@home and @mobile is at OS X 10.6.2.
did not get results with tags, leap ... @mobile,
I do think those apps are not looking into network drives even if they
are mounted and you would use 10.6.2.

how would you perfom a mdfind query to include the network volumes
also? so to say a 'universal' query.

=:-)f