Status & Lion

Andre-John Mas

Aug 3, 2011, 9:08:55 AM8/3/11
to OpenMeta
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the status of the project is and its
compatibility with Lion?

Thanks

Andre

Tom Andersen

Aug 3, 2011, 12:11:56 PM8/3/11
to open...@googlegroups.com
Andre,

OpenMeta seems to work on Lion, from my tests. If you need to use it in an app that will be going into the app store, you need to make a few changes to the configuration, so as to pass the tests for the App Store.

--Tom

Jono

Aug 4, 2011, 11:08:30 AM8/4/11
to open...@googlegroups.com
Seems to have stopped working with Adobe Illustrator files.

After tagging them, editing them with Illustrator and re-saving them the files lose the tags. Adobe Photoshop files still seem OK though.

Tom Andersen

Sep 3, 2011, 2:58:34 PM9/3/11
to Dominik Pich, open...@googlegroups.com
Dominik,

The App Store has requirements about where you can create files. There are no places to have 'shared preferences' or similar between applications from different companies:

So:
OpenMetaBackups - these really help in keeping tags glued to files like Adobe Photoshop (and other Adobe apps) files, and also provide a layer of backup. There are located in the App Support folder.

I just turn them off unless the user has a folder in App Support. Also perhaps a menu item in your app that explicitly tells the user to 'backup open meta' and would simply create an empty folder to do the trick.
// Open meta backup folder - if one is there, turn on backups, else don't.
extern BOOL gDoOpenMetaBackups; // this is defined in OpenMetaBackup.m
static void StartOpenMetabackupsIfNeeded(void)
{
NSString* path = [@"~/Library/Application Support/OpenMeta/" stringByExpandingTildeInPath];
if (![[NSFileManager defaultManager] fileExistsAtPath:path])
gDoOpenMetaBackups = NO;
}

Shared recent tags, etc. These are shared through a preference file.

When starting up, I do much the same thing, and check for the existence of a shared prefs file, if its there, use it, else store the recently used tags in our own prefs file.

I call [self setupTaggingPrefs] in the app delegate at launch.

// For the apple app store, only use open meta prefs file if the file is there...
+(BOOL)openMetaPrefsFileExists;
{
NSString* prefFilePath = [@"~/Library/Preferences/com.openmeta.shared.plist" stringByExpandingTildeInPath];
if ([[NSFileManager defaultManager] fileExistsAtPath:prefFilePath])
return YES;

return NO;
}

-(void)setupTaggingPrefs;
{
if (![[self class] openMetaPrefsFileExists])
[OpenMetaPrefs setPrefsFile:@"com.ironic.yep"];
}

--Tom

On 2011-09-03, at 2:34 PM, Dominik Pich wrote:

what would I have to adapt to get ready for the appstore?
 smime.p7s
1KViewDownload

Rob Lewis

Nov 29, 2012, 12:13:19 PM11/29/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
OK, since no one seems to have asked about Mountain Lion compatibility, I will. What's the story?

Tom Andersen

Nov 29, 2012, 12:34:50 PM11/29/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
I have not seen any differences between Spotlight in general and OpenMeta in specific on Mountain Lion.

I think that sandboxed apps (which all new apps into the OS X app store require) can now do spotlight searching (10.8 required).

--Tom