Free and open-source hardware in Ireland

david_c

Feb 27, 2009, 2:21:43 PM2/27/09
to Open Manufacturing
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone on this list is based in Ireland. I would be
very interested in working on free and open-source hardware and design
projects with others here. I would be motivated to work on these sort
of projects partly out of necessity, and partly out of scientific and
creative interest.

I would hold the most genuine enthusiasm for an initiative which
embraced a trust-based decision-making model, and which provided scope
for at least a limited amount of resource-sharing amongst it's members
- rather than one which was driven by commercial or monetary
incentives. Having said that, I am not dogmatic in that regard. I
realise that there may have to be some scope for monetary
considerations. I also feel that the promotion and development of free
and open-source hardware, designs and technology may be worthwhile,
regardless of the economic paradigm.

I realise that this is somewhat vague, but - since this is an
international list - it probably isn't worth expounding the proposal.
Anyway, if this is of interest to anyone, feel free to get in touch.

Sincerely
David

Nathan Cravens

Mar 2, 2009, 12:52:16 AM3/2/09
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Did you receive response from this inquiry?

Nathan

Smári McCarthy

Mar 2, 2009, 6:07:23 AM3/2/09
to Open Manufacturing

Hi,

I'm not based in Ireland, but I find my way over there every now and
then to visit the family, planning on a trip in May, probably only for
an extended weekend though. I'll be in Countys Down and Armagh mostly,
possibly popping over to Antrim.

Where are you based, and more importantly, are you capable at going
the Theirafurth Inn in Kilcoo on short notice? :)

Also, a lot of us will be in Manchester after three weeks at the
Oekonux
conference. See http://www.oekonux-conference.org .. it's a great
opportunity to see faces and form Cabals.

- Smári

david_c

Mar 2, 2009, 7:25:22 PM3/2/09
to Open Manufacturing
Hi Nathan. Hi Smári.

Smári is the first person I've heard back from on this list Nathan. I
wasn't expecting anyone to respond to be honest. (Thanks for asking.)

I'm based in the south-east Smári, but not to worry. Feel free to get
in touch at any stage anyway. If I have the time, and if there is a
sufficient incentive, I might make the effort to travel.

I'm aware of the Oekonux conference, and it seems like an exciting
programme. I suspect I won't be able to make it, but I will let you
know if I can.

David

On Mar 2, 11:07 am, Smári McCarthy <smar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not based in Ireland, but I find my way over there every now and
> then to visit the family, planning on a trip in May, probably only for
> an extended weekend though. I'll be in Countys Down and Armagh mostly,
> possibly popping over to Antrim.
>
> Where are you based, and more importantly, are you capable at going
> the Theirafurth Inn in Kilcoo on short notice? :)
>
> Also, a lot of us will be in Manchester after three weeks at the
> Oekonux
> conference. Seehttp://www.oekonux-conference.org.. it's a great

Bryan Bishop

Mar 2, 2009, 11:39:04 PM3/2/09
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com, kan...@gmail.com
On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 6:25 PM, david_c <da...@indigo.uk.to> wrote

> Smári is the first person I've heard back from on this list Nathan. I
> wasn't expecting anyone to respond to be honest. (Thanks for asking.)

Don't get us wrong- the real reason we haven't replied is simply
because we're not geographically where you are. But open source
hardware development work can occur globally, so it's not that much of
a big deal, since many of us have been assembling fablabs, techshops,
mensheds, etc. The point being to make it so that we have standardized
equipment (or something) and good toolchains to work on the same
stuff.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507