Moving tech debt grooming calls to Slack

Sebastian Brudziński

Jul 11, 2018, 11:32:23 AM7/11/18
to openlm...@googlegroups.com

Hello everyone,

following up our last technical committee call, I wanted to share and open up for a discussion an idea to move tech debt backlog grooming calls entirely to Slack. Here's the summary of the idea:

1. We continue to use Slack's #tech-debt channel to allow anyone to suggest new tickets marked "Tech Debt" for consideration
2. One ticket is allowed per one message
3. The developers on the #tech-debt channel vote on the tickets, using :+1: emojis
4. If the ticket reaches defined threshold (how about starting with 4?) it gets added to the Tech Debt Next
5. The tickets are estimated on the #tech-debt channel using the number emojis
6. In case of a big variety in estimates or questions, we use Slack's thread on the message listing the ticket to discuss it further and come to a conclusion
7. We appoint someone as a Tech Debt Guard (TDG) to make sure that each Sprint enough tickets are added and that Tech Debt Next contains enough tickets to pull to the sprints; The TDG notifies the #tech-debt channel if there's deficiency in suggested or approved tickets or lack of estimations, so developers can suggest new tickets, review proposed ones or estimate
8. The TDG is also responsible for setting the estimates and adding the ticket to the Tech Debt Next after it reaches threshold

If we are fine with this idea, I'll also create a wiki page outlining the process.

What do you think? Do you see any potential problems with the proposed workflow?

Best regards,
Sebastian.

--

Sebastian Brudziński
Technical Leader

SolDevelo
Sp. z o.o. [LLC] / www.soldevelo.com
Al. Zwycięstwa 96/98, 81-451, Gdynia, Poland
Phone: +48 58 782 45 40 / Fax: +48 58 782 45 41

Mary Jo Kochendorfer

Jul 11, 2018, 12:20:23 PM7/11/18
to Sebastian Brudziński, openlm...@googlegroups.com

I look forward to seeing how this process works. The only thing I wanted to flag, which I’m sure y’all considered, is that since we use the free version of slack we cannot reference historical messages. My question would be around how long does the voting period last (or need to be referenced) because if it is too long it would be in risk of being inaccessible.

Thanks,

Mary Jo

Image removed by sender.

SolDevelo
Sp. z o.o. [LLC] / www.soldevelo.com
Al. Zwycięstwa 96/98, 81-451, Gdynia, Poland
Phone: +48 58 782 45 40 / Fax: +48 58 782 45 41

Sebastian Brudziński

Jul 12, 2018, 3:24:04 AM7/12/18
to openlm...@googlegroups.com, Mary Jo Kochendorfer

We currently have about 3-4 weeks of most recent messages available on Slack. The processing of a single ticket shouldn't likely take more than a single sprint. In case a ticket hasn't gotten enough attention (votes) for the 3 weeks, I think it would be safe to assume we don't want to focus on fixing that particular tech debt ticket right now. It can however always be raised for consideration again though.

Best regards,
Sebastian.

SolDevelo
Sp. z o.o. [LLC] / www.soldevelo.com

Sebastian Brudziński

Jul 16, 2018, 9:55:49 AM7/16/18
to openlm...@googlegroups.com, Mary Jo Kochendorfer

Hello everyone,

as there were no objections, I've summarized our tech debt review process on the Confluence: https://openlmis.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/OP/pages/416514111/Technical+Debt+Review+Process and intend to start using the new workflow this week. I've also linked this doc on the Slack's #tech-debt channel for easy access.

The doc also contains a summary from Josh's post to the dev group about the TechDebt Next sprint, creating tickets, etc. as I don't think this was documented anywhere.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the new process here or via comments on the wiki page. We will of course evaluate how it is working for us on the retrospectives and/or technical committee call.

Best regards,
Sebastian.