Reverting breaking changes

kpalkowska

Sep 27, 2018, 7:00:23 AM9/27/18
to OpenLMIS Dev
Hi all,

On the one of Team Parrot Retrospective meeting, we talked about quite a lot of broken build notifications on our CI. In order to avoid long-term failures on #build channel and unknown current status of work on fixes, we strongly recommend every developer who expects he may not be able to fix Sonar/tests/build issues within a working day to revert the changes. The continuous failures may cause some confusion and make it difficult to track the current build status. Reverting breaking changes will help us to fix that problem. I've already updated Contribution Guide and Code Submission Conventions to include that suggestion.

Feel free to let me know what do you think about it.

Regards,
Klaudia

Nikodem Graczewski

Sep 28, 2018, 8:08:13 AM9/28/18
to Klaudia Pałkowska, OpenLMIS Dev
Hi all,

how do we want to make sure that the changes are reverted? Should we choose a policeman (switched every Sprint/week) to ensure we're not leaving any builds broken?

Best regards,
Nikodem Graczewski
Software Developer

SolDevelo
Sp. z o.o. [LLC] / www.soldevelo.com
Al. Zwycięstwa 96/98, 81-451, Gdynia, Poland
Phone: +48 58 782 45 40 / Fax: +48 58 782 45 41

SolDevelo
Sp. z o.o. [LLC] / www.soldevelo.com
Al. Zwycięstwa 96/98, 81-451, Gdynia, Poland
Phone: +48 58 782 45 40 / Fax: +48 58 782 45 41

Łukasz Lewczyński

Oct 1, 2018, 3:12:34 AM10/1/18
to Nikodem Graczewski, Klaudia Pałkowska, OpenLMIS Dev
Hi all,

I have only one concern about this idea. I remember that sometimes there were situations where a build failed because of sonar and a developer reverted changes but build still failed because sonar found other issues that were not directly related with the developer changes. The most often was about the test coverage for missing branches in classes - sonar requires about 65% of coverage. How would we like to handle those situations? I mean situations where a developer revers changes but builds still fail.

Łukasz Lewczyński
Software Developer
llewc...@soldevelo.com

Klaudia Pałkowska

Oct 9, 2018, 5:18:00 AM10/9/18
to Łukasz Lewczyński, Nikodem Graczewski, openlm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Nikodem - I think that everyone is aware that we should keep an eye on the build channel, especially after committing some changes. I'm not sure whether we need a special guard. Moreover, everyone can start work at the different time so it would be difficult to track when every developer ends his/her working day and have to revert his/her breaking changes. But if you feel it's necessary, we can try.

What do you suggest to avoid the situations described by you, Łukasz? I would say they are quite rare, so we can just leave it and try to fix Sonar issues ASAP.

Best,
Klaudia
--

Klaudia Pałkowska
Junior Software Developer

SolDevelo Sp. z o. o. [LLC]
Office: +48 58 782 45 40 / Fax: +48 58 782 45 41Al. Zwycięstwa 96/9881-451, Gdynia
http://www.soldevelo.com

Place of registration: Regional Court for the City of GdanskKRS: 0000332728, TAX ID: PL5862240331, REGON: 220828585,Share capital: 60,000.00 PLN