Two questions about PR 9430

Lutz Helm

Apr 29, 2019, 3:10:33 AM4/29/19
to OpenLayers Dev
Dear list,

I have two questions:

1. Circle CI fails for PR 9430 [1] but I don't see how the error is
related to any changes from the pull request:

npm ERR! path /home/circleci/repo/node_modules/ol-mapbox-style
npm ERR! code EISGIT
npm ERR! git /home/circleci/repo/node_modules/ol-mapbox-style:
Appears to be a git repo or submodule.
npm ERR! git /home/circleci/repo/node_modules/ol-mapbox-style
npm ERR! git Refusing to remove it. Update manually,
npm ERR! git or move it out of the way first.

Maybe somebody has a hint?

2. Is there any chance that this pull request might be accepted? I know
that 1600 added lines at once might take a while to review; I just want
to know if there's an interest to have a IIIF Image API tile source in
OpenLayers at all.

All the best,
Lutz

[1] https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/pull/9430

Tim Schaub

Apr 29, 2019, 10:48:13 PM4/29/19
to OpenLayers Dev on behalf of Lutz Helm
Hello Lutz,

Thanks for your interest in contributing to the library.  I left a comment on the pull request about rebasing your branch to get the fix for the dependency issue.

It might also be good to provide some information on the pull request for people who don’t have any prior exposure to IIIF.  I’m curious, for example, how common IIIF-based tile services might be (I haven’t looked, maybe this info is easy to find from the pull request or original issue).

From the comments on the pull request, it sounds like a new version of the spec is underway.  Do you anticipate being available to continue making contributions as changes to the spec or issues with the implementation are found?

I don’t have any specific concerns with IIIF or your contribution, but know that it is important to have people willing to help maintain the code for a contribution to be more of an asset that a liability.

Thanks again for your interest in contributing.
Tim

Lutz Helm

Apr 30, 2019, 9:39:07 AM4/30/19
to openlay...@googlegroups.com
Hello Tim,

thank you very much for your quick answer! A rebase did indeed help with
the dependency issue.

I can absolutely understand how an unmaintained contribution would be a
problem. Addressing arising issues and implementing API changes will
remain a part of the work on the project I am currently doing. So if
nothing unexpected happens, I will definitely be available until at
least June 2020 for additional contributions concerning IIIF.

I'm not sure whether the IIIF Image API version 3.0 will be final by
June 2020, but RC2 is due by June 1st 2019, and I plan to support my
OpenLayers IIIF contributions beyond June 2020.

Concerning the goals, usage and scope of IIIF, I tried to add a little
summary to the original issue [1], essentially the following:

IIIF is a set of API specifications that are primarily implemented and
used by GLAM institutions (galleries, libraries, archives, museums and
others; see list of active community member institutions [2]) to present
digital representations of works such as books, newspapers, scrolls,
maps, manuscripts etc. (or other digital images) primarily to scholars
and researchers. The IIIF APIs in detail are currently the Image API,
Presentation API, Content Search API and Authentication API:
* The IIIF Presentation API describes ways to present a digital work to
a user, regarding the arrangement of (multiple) images and audio/visual
resources, comments, transscriptions, descriptions etc.
* The Image API describes how to serve/retrieve full or tiled images or
specific parts of an image at different scale levels.
* The Content Search API enables lookup of IIIF resources.
* The Authentication API describes how make use of existing
authentication services to authenticate users of IIIF services.

One more note about the availability of IIIF Image services: IIPSrv, the
server side implementation of IIP [3] which is already supported in
OpenLayers via the Zoomify tile source does already offer IIIF image
support, and there are more IIIF server implementations around.

All the best,
Lutz

[1] https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/issues/9323
[2] https://iiif.io/community/#participating-institutions