Server Choices

1 view

Will Pearson

May 27, 2011, 8:16:23 PM5/27/11
to openla...@googlegroups.com
==Definition of terms==

Main Server: A central server
Game Server: Stores game state, allows statistics/real time views.
And communicates information between players.
Commander Server: Allows a commander to see the state of his troops
and give orders.

==Requirements/specs==
I think WWW is the way to go. This allows web clients to be written to
get and display data in a variety of ways. And allows us to go through
firewalls easily. It makes two directional connections a bit more
difficult but we can use comet. Which brings us to.

We need comet!

Why do we need two directional communication? So that we can do things
like have a hunted person (or someone with a flag), that shows up on
the android display based on their location. This means that whenever
the gps signal of the hunted is updated it would send a signal to the
game server which would then tell all the hunters where to look.

==Language and Framework==

People understandably want something they know. I'm half tempted to go
with erlang,

But python seems like a good choice. I'm tempted to go with Tornado as
it says it is simple and flexible. I'll look into it more. Anyone have
any suggestions for comet+python?

I've used cheetah for the templating language, but I'm open to better
suggestions (it didn't enthuse me).

==Server Discovery==

Phone based (QRCode) - Need way of generating QRcodes with a program
Recharge station (pings a udp broadcast on the network and waits for a
response telling it the server URL/IP)

==Database==

Some form of SQL, so that people can easily use other languages to
talk to it to provide pretty front ends as well.

==Hardware==

On openwrt router so we can just ship them out to people set up (for
gun based systems)?

Other thoughts?

Will