Version 0.1 proposal Hello *Boom* World

Will Pearson

May 27, 2011, 8:27:29 PM5/27/11
to openla...@googlegroups.com
So it would be cool to have a fixed target to aim at, to get the gun
and android working together and simple games being played.

Proposal:

Simple game type, no usernames simply IDs?
One gun type
Hardcoded game server IP.

So what does what

1) Gun as brains

Takes in IR data and updates internal state, tells the gun what is
going on so it can update HUD.

Game type (Slayer -whoever is alive at the end wins or most kills in
time- no teams? or team slayer with lives where people are assigned to
either team at random)

2) Phone sets up the game, tells the gun what playerID it has

Also broadcasts status updates to the game server (unreliable but will
do for now and useful for real time views of game state and commander
stuff), to get stats.

Maybe ends game after certain time?

This means we don't need to make a recharging station to start with.

Server address hardcoded or qrcode.

===
So things we need

1) Serial protocol for sending shot messages around (Charles wants
this to be fairly simple and compact so it can be sent to various
things over i2c , bluetooth would get these messages as well)
2) Gun IR protocol (start with the same as serial then branch put a
wrapper around it if needed)
3) A simple game server that gives out an incremented playerID when it
is queried (or switches teamID as well if it is doing a team game)
This can be lan based for the moment. We will probably want to move
to having it on a server somewhere. I'll do this when I figure out
what framework to use.
4) Android app to query server for team and player ID and update the
game server of status.
5) Gun to maintain game state, such as being dead etc.

What else?

Will

Charles Yarnold

May 27, 2011, 9:46:08 PM5/27/11
to openla...@googlegroups.com
On 28 May 2011 01:27, Will Pearson <wil.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
So it would be cool to have a fixed target to aim at, to get the gun
and android working together and simple games being played.

Took a few reads to realise you don't mean a physical target to shoot at with a gun.

Proposal:

Simple game type, no usernames simply IDs?
One gun type
Hardcoded game server IP.

So what does what

1) Gun as brains

Takes in IR data and updates internal state, tells the gun what is
going on so it can update HUD.

Game type (Slayer -whoever is alive at the end wins  or most kills  in
time- no teams? or team slayer with lives where people are assigned to
either team at random)

Yes, I would say you have x lives, once used your out of the game.

(will comment of rest when more coherent)

Charles Yarnold

Jun 7, 2011, 11:42:11 AM6/7/11
to openla...@googlegroups.com
I have started to condense this down into a wiki page, please feel free to chip in, and remember this is just the minimalist first milestone!

Sol

tom

Jun 7, 2011, 12:23:29 PM6/7/11
to openla...@googlegroups.com
i added some things :D

tom

Jun 12, 2011, 12:44:48 PM6/12/11
to OpenLaserTag
how are we going with this? Do we have a usable board yet Sol?

On Jun 7, 5:23 pm, tom <bollocks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i added some things :D
>
> On 07/06/2011 16:42, Charles Yarnold wrote:
>

> > I have started to condense this down into a wiki page, please feel
> > free to chip in, and remember this is just the minimalist first
> > milestone!
>
> >http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Project:Open_Laser_Tag/MileStone1
>
> > Sol
>
> > On 28 May 2011 01:27, Will Pearson <wil.pear...@gmail.com

Charles Yarnold

Jun 12, 2011, 8:23:32 PM6/12/11
to openla...@googlegroups.com
I've been swamped this last week, I plan to post a final release candidate for comments on Tuesday evening.

Sol

p.s. got a link for your ir receivers?

tom

Jun 27, 2011, 5:58:25 AM6/27/11
to OpenLaserTag
how goes the hardware prototyping?

On Jun 13, 1:23 am, Charles Yarnold <charlesyarn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been swamped this last week, I plan to post a final release candidate
> for comments on Tuesday evening.
>
> Sol
>
> p.s. got a link for your ir receivers?

Charles Yarnold

Jun 28, 2011, 3:11:55 PM6/28/11
to openla...@googlegroups.com
Right, hopefully the last candidate, can I get some eyes on it, Tom, Parag0n?

Will send these off to the pcb fab house this week if were all happy.

Sol

Charles Yarnold

Jul 8, 2011, 3:25:53 PM7/8/11
to openla...@googlegroups.com
After some last tweeks with Tom and Bob the files are with spirit and being fabbed.

We should have ~20 shields around the 20th of this month, will get together costings for kits, but if you just want a bare pcb with no components at all its going to be £2 (or 2 club mate)

Sol

tom wyatt

Aug 19, 2011, 9:24:09 AM8/19/11
to openla...@googlegroups.com
Did the shields ever turn up?
I've got a nerf gun i'd like to retrofit :)
--
Johnnysausage.com : people hurting themselves! woop!