Tango and Lenovo Phab 2

nin...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2017, 2:45:05 PM2/6/17
to openk...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

This is probably the wrong forum for this but has anyone looked at Tango on the Lenovo phab 2.
I can't find a lot of details on specifications in terms of accuracy and resolution (point cloud, depth etc) or even if we have access to the raw data. Has anyone had a chance to look at this and see how it compares to primesence, Kinect, structure etc

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

Dan Duque

Feb 6, 2017, 3:59:36 PM2/6/17
to openk...@googlegroups.com

All tango projects were using the latest primesense mobile camera... its the successor if the prime sense camera system in kinects and xtion. Everyone licenses from primesense which is owned by apple... I havent looked at the tango devices since inception. .. but johnny lee miller was working on tango after working on the original Kinect product... he is in early tango videos.. the pricepoint was super high last time I checked... and they usually do dev options... first... I hapoen to think ai is going to win in the 3d realm.... and it will be much cheaper than 800+ bucks for just the camera...

Rhett Drugge

Feb 6, 2017, 5:29:45 PM2/6/17
to openk...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

Do you have any references for your statement about AI for 3-D?

All the best,

Rhett Drugge

nin...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2017, 6:20:52 PM2/6/17
to openk...@googlegroups.com
Thanks this looks like it is $500 so if it is a primesense chip and is using speckled laser and provides similar specs as Kinect that is a huge win (especially if we can get the raw data).  I thought it would be stereophotogrametry   There is an Asus zenfone AR as well coming out but I would be surprised if apple would release a low powered miniature primesense chip to competitors before they use on iPhone X. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tango/

Sent from my iPhone

Dan Duque

Dan Duque

Feb 6, 2017, 9:20:30 PM2/6/17
to openk...@googlegroups.com

Ok... sorry for the suspense... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4011606/Avatar-breakthrough-AI-create-perfect-3D-face-single-picture-revealed-ve-tried-Donald-Trump-Hillary-Clinton-Muhammad-Ali.html also... my ai for law enforcement runs similarly to do object removal. .. I havent set up the whole site yet... but its here(no real info yet shameless plug): https://sites.google.com/site/redactorarrai/home

Lorne Covington

Feb 6, 2017, 10:04:47 PM2/6/17
to openk...@googlegroups.com

The Lenovo Phab Pro 2 is $450 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Phab-unlocked-smartphone-Warranty/dp/B01M4LBRTG

But I would wait to see what the depthcam specs are on this; could be lower power laser which would reduce range, etc. etc.

I had pre-ordered the Intel RealSense phone with their depthcam which was supposed to ship last fall, but they canceled it.  If this does in fact have decent specs I'll pick one up to try out.

- Lorne

http://noirflux.com

Dan Duque

Feb 6, 2017, 10:21:58 PM2/6/17
to openk...@googlegroups.com

I only saw bnh with that price... in my search..  https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Phab-Pro-Project-Unlocked/dp/B01M6BZUNP

Specs should be in the Lenovo site....

Dan Duque

Feb 7, 2017, 1:09:45 AM2/7/17
to openk...@googlegroups.com

Oooo... asus has a phone with tango... but the link for 'get device' goes to the be phab... https://developers.google.com/tango/

Lorne Covington

Feb 7, 2017, 2:01:02 AM2/7/17
to openk...@googlegroups.com

On the Lenovo site under "Features and Specs" it just says "Tango - Augmented reality gaming - Augmented reality utilities".  Pretty useless.

- Lorne

http://noirflux.com

Dan Duque

Feb 7, 2017, 2:24:29 PM2/7/17
to openk...@googlegroups.com
Yeah. .. I noticed that...that's why I went to the dev link... damn.. I wish they would release the specs... that camera was really expensive a couple years ago.. and that sudden price drop... is that because of Lenovo.. or a spec change... I dunno.. 400 bucks and still on prime... in the used part of your link... getting more tempting... what do you think about this.. I know Apple bought them out.. around this time...http://ros-users.122217.n3.nabble.com/Primesense-cameras-no-longer-available-td4020561.html

Peter Finn

Feb 7, 2017, 10:43:41 PM2/7/17
to openk...@googlegroups.com
Heh $200 on ebay  Reviews say it is a basically useless as a phablet so I think we may see a major price drop. I still haven't found anyone tearing this down to see if it is a primesense chip or what specs are.

 http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lenovo-Phab-2-Unlocked-Dual-SIM-Smartphone-Grey-U-S-Warranty-/252717565868?hash=item3ad72407ac:g:67IAAOSwUKxYdEmQ

Lorne Covington

Feb 7, 2017, 11:51:44 PM2/7/17
to openk...@googlegroups.com

I think that is NOT the Phab 2 "Pro", which adds Tango.  Note the picure of the back of it only has the one camera lens.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/smartphones/phab-series/phab2/

- Lorne

http://noirflux.com

Dan Duque

Feb 8, 2017, 12:38:17 AM2/8/17
to openk...@googlegroups.com

Shiii... I almost got my hopes up... id tear it apart at 200bucks a pop...(for science) I dont think the devices go down that much.. you can sell an xtion for upwards of $450... in amazon.. but.. imho they price jack a lot..

nin...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2017, 6:17:17 AM2/8/17
to openk...@googlegroups.com
Wow that was almost a costly mistake for me THANKS    Ok I need the Pro.  You google primesense Phab 2 you get zero hits :-( but if you google apple AR you get tons of rumours about iPhone 8 with primesense http://www.networkworld.com/article/3159544/ios/iphone-8-rumor-rollup-iphone-x-leaving-rivals-in-its-dust-a-classy-new-concept-design.amp.html?client=safari

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openkinect+...@googlegroups.com.

Peter Finn

Apr 10, 2017, 8:08:24 PM4/10/17