DIY Kinect V2 adapter

Marc Wolfe

Jun 24, 2017, 10:38:41 PM6/24/17
to OpenKinect
   I'm hoping somebody has had and figured out this issue. I'm on my second Kinect V2. Everything I've read online says you can you use a standard USB 3 cable if you open up the connect and solder a 12 volt supply to pin 10. The Kinect still doesn't even show up in device manager. When I plug it in, device manager keeps refreshing without showing anything different. i tried a reboot and got an "unknown USB" for a moment, then nothing. I've checked with a multimeter and the standard USB ground pin doesn't match with The Kinect's ground. The Kinect uses 1 of the extra pins added to the side of the port for ground, and the standard ground pin has 10K resistance to ground. I tried using the original Kinect cable and spliced a standard USB 3 cable and added 12 volts to the brown wire that corresponds to pin 10. i can't seem to figure it out; I'm wondering if it's something to do with an incompatible USB controller, but it's just the Intel chipset of my Skylake, Asrock H110 board. I don't if it has something to do with the old USB 3 standard being replaced with USB 3.1 gen 1 and gen 2. I don't know; maybe I'll have to buy an older USB 3 add-in card.

Dan Duque

Jun 24, 2017, 10:42:55 PM6/24/17
to openk...@googlegroups.com
Cant you find adaptors.. I think mine came with one.. I haven/t torn it apart to confirm anything about the ground pin... tho..

On Jun 24, 2017 7:38 PM, "Marc Wolfe" <swampth...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Lorne Covington

Jun 25, 2017, 1:57:32 AM6/25/17
to openk...@googlegroups.com

Wow, funny you should mention this.  I have an original Xbox One Kinect I modded as soon as it came out and have been using ever since to test PCs I build to drive Kinect for Windows v2s.  I built a new system recently, using (you guessed it) a micro-ATX ASRock H110 board, and it would not see the modded Xbox One Kinect.  I plugged in a v2 KfW (with the adapter), and it worked fine.

I figured my soldering job on the power lines must have finally failed or the 12v power supply died, so I plugged it into my laptop and it worked.  I still thought it must have been a flaky connection, but at least not a dead Kinect, and set it aside to rewire.

The Skylake and Kabylake CPUs and chipsets have a different USB implementation than before, which I learned about when trying to install Windows 7 on one (Win7 does not have drivers for them).  So my guess is that the USB3 implementation directly on the Kinect is not compatible, and the interface box is needed with the newer chipsets, or at least the H110.  Searching for "kabylake windows 7" should turn up some details about the USB differences.

So it is possible a USB3 board will fix your problem.

Good luck, report back!

- Lorne

http://noirflux.com

On 6/24/2017 10:38 PM, Marc Wolfe wrote:
[...]

Marc Wolfe

Jun 25, 2017, 8:29:06 AM6/25/17
to OpenKinect
Yeah, i know the differences (It's similiar to the differences in PCIe gen and gen 2, signal speed is the same, gen just has less overhead data). I was just hoping it wasn't the problem. but then again, i guess that's better than having to buy a new Kinect AND an adapter. I'll try with my laptop, unforunately. it's also Skylake, so I doubt it will work. Maybe my AMD AM3+ board will work when I get a CPU for it. Thanks. I'll reply if i get it working.

Marc Wolfe

Jun 25, 2017, 12:31:39 PM6/25/17
to OpenKinect
I'm sure I could, but that wouldn't be frugal. I got this thing used for $40 which isn't bad, but finding a used adapter isn't really a thing.

Joko Sutopo

Jul 1, 2017, 8:00:09 AM7/1/17
to openk...@googlegroups.com
good information