linux glview white screen issue possible fix

linuxjacques

Nov 22, 2010, 9:53:33 PM11/22/10
to OpenKinect

I and a few other ppl in #openkinect were reporting a white screen
instead of the depth camera image in glview.

We think we have narrowed it down to hardware / drivers which do not
support non-power-of-two textures.

The open source radeon drivers, at least on older ATI chips, seems to
have the problem.

amiller on irc has what appears to be a fix. He converted glview.c to
use GL_EXT_texture_rectangle .

git clone https://github.com/amiller/libfreenect.git
git checkout textrectext

This fixed the issue for me.

I would appreciate others having this problem trying this fix.

Thanks,

jacques

Andrew Miller

Nov 22, 2010, 9:56:08 PM11/22/10
to OpenKinect
At least one person (wheagy) using OS X tried this fix earlier, and it
did NOT address his problem.

That particular problem may have been solved by the threading patch
here, but I'm not sure https://github.com/OpenKinect/libfreenect/pull/63

On Nov 22, 9:53 pm, linuxjacques <linuxjacq...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I and a few other ppl in #openkinect were reporting a white screen
> instead of the depth camera image in glview.
>
> We think we have narrowed it down to hardware / drivers which do not
> support non-power-of-two textures.
>
> The open source radeon drivers, at least on older ATI chips, seems to
> have the problem.
>
> amiller on irc has what appears to be a fix. He converted glview.c to
> use GL_EXT_texture_rectangle .
>
> git clonehttps://github.com/amiller/libfreenect.git

Kevin Curry

Nov 23, 2010, 11:46:10 PM11/23/10
to OpenKinect
Jacques,

I had this issue. Thanks to your help via IRC, I was able resolve it.

For readers: Driver was MESA DRI R300... Jacques provided some
additional necessary info for this to work:

@amiller's fix uses GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_EXT, which was undefined.
Jacques found it in libglew. I installed libglew and added #include
<GL/glew.h> in glview.c

@+qDot noted the glew hack would not likely be merged.

On Nov 22, 9:53 pm, linuxjacques <linuxjacq...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I and a few other ppl in #openkinect were reporting a white screen
> instead of the depth camera image in glview.
>
> We think we have narrowed it down to hardware / drivers which do not
> support non-power-of-two textures.
>
> The open source radeon drivers, at least on older ATI chips, seems to
> have the problem.
>
> amiller on irc has what appears to be a fix. He converted glview.c to
> use GL_EXT_texture_rectangle .
>
> git clonehttps://github.com/amiller/libfreenect.git

Tim Detwiler

Dec 17, 2010, 11:40:21 AM12/17/10
to OpenKinect
I'm having this issue now with Ubuntu 10.04 and an ATI (x1800xt) card,
which seems in line with the old ATI card theory. It seems the
freenect interface has changed a little since amillers fix was posted,
so I haven't managed to get it running yet either. I'm able to control
the LEDs and the Motor so far, but the screen for glview is just blank
(white).

Should I be looking for alternative drivers to fix this?

-Tim