Audio in Python wrapper

Sebastian Hoffmann

Jan 2, 2016, 5:47:12 PM1/2/16
to openk...@googlegroups.com
Hi. I rebuilt libfreenect today (not freenect2, I'm using the old Kinects) to get microphone support. freenect-micview shows them working fine. However, apparently the Python wrapper has no audio support. Will that cahnge in the near future? Can https://github.com/OpenKinect/libfreenect/pull/253/filesbe adapted for that purpose?

Best wishes and a happy new year,
Sebastian Hoffmann

Antonio Ospite

Jan 3, 2016, 4:53:43 AM1/3/16
to OpenKinect
On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 23:47:06 +0100
"'Sebastian Hoffmann' via OpenKinect" <openk...@googlegroups.com>
wrote:

> Hi. I rebuilt libfreenect today (not freenect2, I'm using the old Kinects)
> to get microphone support. freenect-micview shows them working fine.
> However, apparently the Python wrapper has no audio support. Will that
> cahnge in the near future? Can
> https://github.com/OpenKinect/libfreenect/pull/253/filesbe adapted for that
> purpose?

Hi Sebastian,

not exactly what you are asking, but on linux you can get audio using
ALSA/pulseaudio by loading the UAC (USB Audio Class) firmware with
kinect-audio-setup: http://git.ao2.it/kinect-audio-setup.git/

From there you can use some python library for generic audio.

I am not sure if the same technique works on Windows and OSX.

It looks like I wrote the same answer to a similar question from you
back in 2014, but I don't know if you ever tried kinect-audio-setup :)

Ciao,
Antonio

--
Antonio Ospite